You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there,

So I would like to change this barcode so that the black bars and numbers are transparent, while keeping the surrounding white as is. I'm not sure how to do this with it being a flat image (not already broken up into separate layers)--can anyone help? 

00860303002305 UPC-A SST1.png

On 19/05/2018 at 2:43 PM, kazoulay said:

Hi there,

So I would like to change this barcode so that the black bars and numbers are transparent, while keeping the surrounding white as is. I'm not sure how to do this with it being a flat image (not already broken up into separate layers)--can anyone help?

Hi kazoulay

There are a few options. Here are two.

1. Go Select > Tonal Range > Select Shadows to select the black, and then press delete. Make sure it is a pixel layer (rasterised), not an image layer.

2. Use blend ranges (the little cog on the layers panel.

cog.jpg.a2a22ad383f940c033afd856e03a088e.jpg

blend.jpg.6de59282657ba8081cd80133bd559ccd.jpg

If you drag this point from the top to the bottom, it makes the black transparent. 

Edit. As carl123 mentioned, you might get grey outlines left behind around the edges, so move the point down and then to the right to eliminate them. 

right.jpg.98c5be4c07c2aa2551481dca4e5f3b31.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Make sure Document > Transparent Background is ticked (or you wont see the transparency)

Select the layer in the Layers panel
CTRL + I (to invert layer)
Filters > Colours > Erase White Paper
CTRL + I (to undo invert layer)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1) Duplicate the layer.

2) Rasterize to Mask.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

The OP suggested that the barcode image was a solo layer, but otherwise - of course...

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

51 minutes ago, smadell said:

The OP suggested that the barcode image was a solo layer, but otherwise - of course...

I only mentioned it because this stuff can be a bit daunting and confusing for a newbie when "odd" things happen.

It's often daunting and confusing for me O.o and I'm ancient ;)

Absolutely, toltec. I'm dazed and confused more often than I'd like to admit!

Here's another one:

1) Duplicate the barcode layer.

2) Filters > Colors > Erase White Paper

3) Set blend mode on duplicated layer to "Erase"

4) Group the 2 barcode layers

5b0199e5a76a6_anotheroption....thumb.jpg.7bc27c07d9827105d0c675eeff099d33.jpg

Most of the "solutions" added here are leaving thin greyish outlines around the barcodes and numbers.

Not sure exactly how barcodes work but if the thin greyish outlines will interfere with the scanning of the barcodes you should be careful which method you utilise.

To test just add a pure white Fill layer at the bottom of the layer stack, if all the black areas are truly transparent you should see a pure white canvas with no lines or artefacts.

PS If this is just for some sort of T-Shirt design it's probably less important which method you use

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

47 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Most of the "solutions" added here are leaving thin greyish outlines around the barcodes and numbers.

Not sure exactly how barcodes work but if the thin greyish outlines will interfere with the scanning of the barcodes you should be careful which method you utilise.

To test just add a pure white Fill layer at the bottom of the layer stack, if all the black areas are truly transparent you should see a pure white canvas with no lines or artefacts.

PS If this is just for some sort of T-Shirt design it's probably less important which method you use

Not most.

Selecting Shadows and deleting

Flood select and delete.

Inverting, erase white paper and invert back

are perfect on my PC. No grey edges at all.

Blend ranges works OK if you tweak the position of the point (move down and to the right)

Agreed, the mask "solutions" are a little bit off,

Probably the easiest and safest is just to select the black using Select > Tonal Range > Shadows, or Flood select. No edges at all for me.

This is the result for those two.

01.jpg.292717e9d2aa0999d250596ca4bca66f.jpg

Looks weird but I think this is workable.

5b01e2fd3cbcf_ScreenShot2018-05-20at22_03_31.thumb.png.ac8affa143f169774a759845ec6ce3ad.png

Changed the white to grey to show how the transparency works.

5b01e3720bcc2_ScreenShot2018-05-20at22_06_22.thumb.png.6e19282165f7840c566d54bda8e0f219.png

Barcode Transparent 860303002305.afdesign

Heres the EPS to play with: 860303002305.eps

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thank you so much for your help!! I have a new question though...

I know this is an Affinity forum, but you all have been so helpful--my boss now wants me to do this same thing but in Illustrator, and when I changed the Affinity file to an SVG and opened it in Illustrator it was really blurry. 

Could any of you explain how I would make the black transparent in Illustrator? Sorry to ask!