You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

NEF RAW files on my NIKON D500 are created with dimensions 5568x3712.

However, when I open them in Affinity Photo they are automatically resized to 5599x3728.

This is clearly incorrect. It is causing me a few issues with trying to merge/process images edited in other software that use the correct size eg Photomatix Pro and  Capture NX-D.

Can you please help

• Staff

Hi chrisday10,

Welcome to the forums.

The reason for the slightly larger pixel count is because our SerifLabs RAW engine doesn't discard edge pixels. Instead, it interpolates them, In-camera processing (e.g. for in-camera JPEGs) usually discards edge pixels - because edge interpolation is trickier and slower. Most RAW conversion software will also crop or discard this information. If you're running on macOS you can always switch to the Apple Core Image engine within the Develop Assistant window as that automatically crops the edge pixels.

Hi 

Thanks for the reply which I find extremely confusing and disappointing.

Firstly, I have been using Serif PhotoPlus in its various iterations for more than 20 years now. Even before my first camera able to shoot in RAW.

Unitil Affinity I have had no issues with processing RAW files and combining with the output of other editing programs. I exclusively use NIKON and have processed images from my D5000, P7800 and D500 with absolutely no problems with PhotoPlus.

The only reason I felt the need to move to Affinity was the decision to no longer support PhotoPlus. I had assumed that Affinity would be the same as PhotoPlus but with more options.

And as I am running WINDOWS 10 your attempt at a solution is irrelevant to me.

You say that the Serif RAW engine does not discard edge pixels. However, the camera itself says that the RAW image output is 5568x3712 .

Nikons own software ViewNX-i and Capture NX-D says that the RAW images are 5568x3712.

And when you look into the image details via WINDOWS it says the images are 5568x3712.

It is only in in Affinity that it says it is 5599x3728. 

I can find no reference in the D500 manual to the effect that it loses "edge pixels"

Surely any RAW engine should be taking, and applying, the manufacturers own specifications as to the size of the output?

You are effectively "changing" RAW files so that they are not as shot.

I am beginning to wish that I had stayed with PhotoPlus and taken a chance that it would continue to work.

I am sorry but your answer has cast my first ever doubt over the integrity of Serif software going back to more than 2 decades to when a colleague handed me a cover disc with free versions of your software. It would have been December 1997 when I first became self employed.

Regards

Chris

2 hours ago, chrisday10 said:

You say that the Serif RAW engine does not discard edge pixels. However, the camera itself says that the RAW image output is 5568x3712 .

Nikons own software ViewNX-i and Capture NX-D says that the RAW images are 5568x3712.

And when you look into the image details via WINDOWS it says the images are 5568x3712.

It is only in in Affinity that it says it is 5599x3728. 

5568x3712 is based on what is known as the "Effective Pixels" of the sensor. From Nikon's own tech specs at https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/dslr-cameras/d500.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-TechSpecs the Effective Pixels spec of the D500 is listed as "20.9  million," which is actually more pixels than 5568 x 3712 suggests (20,668,416, to be exact). 5599 x 3728 works out to 20,873,072 pixels, very close to the 20.9 million effective pixel rating.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

So if that's the case can someone explain why Affinity Photo is actually cropping my image?

image1.jpg is a screen print of the RAW image in Windows along with its properties.

Image2.jpg is the same image having been simply opened in Affinity Photo, developed then exported.

Image3.jpg is a screen print of the same image opened in AuroraHDR. 

If you look at the left and right hand side of the three images you can quite clearly see that Affinity Photo (image2.jpg) has CROPPED the original image rather than get the extra pixels. This can be clearly seen on the right hand side.

If I understand the previous answers to my query the I would expect Affinity Photo to match/be similar to the result of AuroraHDR which seems to display those extra pixels around the edge. This again is clearly obvious when you look at the right hand side.

image1.thumb.jpg.2f8950bd36750408f4d64dc5acfd3c07.jpgimage2.thumb.jpg.d81ea99bb45bdf9166e90f97eae3d9ec.jpgimage3.thumb.jpg.68ca2cc0fff355e9ccb4b9c72d17c274.jpg

13 minutes ago, chrisday10 said:

So if that's the case can someone explain why Affinity Photo is actually cropping my image?

It would help if you provided an actual .nef image file rather than merely screen shots.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

As requested.

As previously stated i kind of understand why Affinity Photo has a different pixel size. 

The issue is that while trying to process a straight forward image Affinity Photo arrives at a larger size allegedly by picking up the pixels around the edges but is in fact cropping the image.

DSC_5121.NEF

When Photo crops the image, it is non-destructive. The cropped-off parts still exist and can be recovered if you reverse the crop (uncrop).

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

I am now even more confused!!!!

Although not entirely.

I reset things to the factory default and  I now seem to be seeing the whole picture.

I don't know what I had changed but it now appears to work. Obviously something in the defaults I must have changed lost the bits around the edge.

Thanks everybody for taking the trouble to try to help.

Chris

2 minutes ago, chrisday10 said:

You & me both!

To begin with, when I open your .NEF file in Mac apps like Apple's Preview or GraphicConverter 9, I get the same image (visually) as in your Image3.jpg from AuroraHDR, which is the only one of your 3 image jpegs that shows the outward tilted mast on the leftmost boat & two columns of windows on the white building on the right. So that is my 'uncropped' reference. Apple's Preview app says the image is 3712 px X 5568 px, just like your image1.jpg from Windows. So far, so good.

However, that first image seems to have excluded the same amount of the outward tilted mast & almost all of the white building on the right compared to your image2.jpg from Affinity Photo, so it is the most 'cropped' of the bunch.

Opening the NEF file in Affinity Photo, I get the same missing stuff on the left & right edges as you do, yet AP says the image is 5599 x 3728 px. Weirder still, in the EXIF metadata window set to "All" the tiff:ImageLength value is 3728 & the tiff:ImageWidth value is 5600, which agrees perfectly with what I see using EXIFTool based apps like GraphicConverter:

1529683686_GC9EXIFIFD1.png.c8331817dc784c0bd304cbe7acb51477.png

So this suggests that Affinity Photo is showing more pixels but less of the image than Preview or AuroraHDR ... or equivalently that it is showing less of the image at a slightly higher pixel resolution ... or something. O.o

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 years later...
On 5/27/2018 at 6:27 PM, chrisday10 said:

Although not entirely.

I reset things to the factory default and  I now seem to be seeing the whole picture.

I don't know what I had changed but it now appears to work. Obviously something in the defaults I must have changed lost the bits around the edge.

Thanks everybody for taking the trouble to try to help.

Chris

I took your file and could see the edges were cropped, Disables LENS CORRECTION and all the image was visible. You also loose some detail top & bottom but as it is plain sky or water you do not notice.

To me that seems to be the answer.

Just saw this thread so hope you are sorted but at least it gives an answer for anyone wondering the same.