You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Better Shadow Control for Designer and Photo

I know this is not a clone of DrawPlus, but I cant deny the fact the shadow tool is very limited in 'Designer' and 'Photo' compared to DrawPlus and this is something I would really appreciate being worked on and implemented in the future.

Cheers

Ryan

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Ryan. :)

What can we do with the Shadow Tool in DrawPlus that we can’t currently do in the Affinity apps? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi there, for example: SCALE Y this flattens the shadow, for example creating the effect that the shadow is on the ground, I know I could duplicate the image and create my own shadow, but that is extra work where a tool like in DP would come in handy, I have attached an image, the shadow is also highlighted so you can see the extra controls available in the menu bar above the image...

Cheers

Ryan

shadow.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I absolutely agree with this.  I just purchased affinity a couple days ago, and was disappointed that there aren't the same drop-shadow options that there are in DrawPlus.

It really limits the work I am doing.

Anj

Not sure if you are on windows or a Mac, but this will work for text on both

Duplicate the text layer
Colour it light grey
Move it behind the black text layer

In the Transform panel..

Select the bottom/middle rotation point
Adjust the shear to about -65 or whatever angle you need
Reduce height of shadow to whatever looks right
Add some Gaussian Blur to the grey shadow layer

Maybe not as easy as DrawPlus but I suspect we are unlikely to see all DrawPlus features in Affinity for several years, so an acceptable workaround for now

The above is fine for text but for other objects see this thread

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/52186-sheared-shadows-please/&tab=comments#comment-263387

shadow.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

3 hours ago, carl123 said:

Move it behind the black text layer

Alternatively, select the original instead of the duplicate.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, carl123 said:

Select the bottom/middle rotation point
Adjust the shear to about -65 or whatever angle you need
Reduce height of shadow to whatever looks right
Add some Gaussian Blur to the grey shadow layer

As mentioned in the thread you refer to, it is necessary to add a gradient, as the shadow with the distance fades.
A gaussian blur should also be applied with a rising intensity, as the shadow melts with distance (just behind the subject is sharp).

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

6 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

As mentioned in the thread you refer to, it is necessary to add a gradient, as the shadow with the distance fades.
A gaussian blur should also be applied with a rising intensity, as the shadow melts with distance (just behind the subject is sharp).

And if the ground is uneven (or textured) that the shadow falls on you can use something like a displacement filter to reflect this

Or if the shadow falls on water you could add ripples to it

Or if there are 2 light sources in the room you may need to adjust the shadows intensity accordingly along it's path or add another shadow

Or if the shadow falls over a pool of blood you might need to add a red tinge to it or lower the opacity

etc

etc

etc

Today we are just covering the basics (the essential facts or principles of a subject or skill) after Brexit we can move onto the move complicated stuff

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Sure, correct shadow rendering is complicated issue, especially if it is solved in 3D (ie, respecting textures, light sources, etc.).
When solved in 2D (Affinity), it is enough to respect the "basic" physical laws - that is, the shadow on the perpendicular surface can not be the same, as the shadow cast on the parallel surface.

Shadow rendering in DrawPlus is not correct.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.