You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When opening Adobe Illustrator files that contain grouped objects, those object are not grouped when opening in AD as they are in Illustrator. There are groups, but they seem to be random.

Is this normal behavior of AD? If so, will there be a fix in the future?

The Affinity apps don’t read the native Illustrator data in the file. They can only read the PDF stream, so you’re limited to whatever is included there.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 minutes ago, MikeW said:

With an Illustrator pdf, I believe CD opens the AI private data.

The result is the same whether it's the native ai or pdf. So, you are saying that CorelDRAW accesses data the AD does not?

As an exercise...

1. Created an ai file
  2. Created  a few box shapes
  3. Selected the box shapes and duplicated them
  4. I selected the original boxes and grouped them
  5. I created a New Layer and a new Sub Layer
  6. I dragged the duplicate boxes to the Sub Layer
  7. I saved the file and opened it in Affinity Designer 
  8. AD displayed the group as a Layer with Sub Layers representing the boxes
  9. It did the same for the New Layer and the Sub Layer

Ad doesn't distinguish between a Group or a sub layer.

Illustrator.

5afdc18fe7ec9_ScreenShot2018-05-17at18_52_39.thumb.png.d5f888c20b29bce7e654bc368f6df1fd.png

Affinity Designer.

5afdc1dc0c7ac_ScreenShot2018-05-17at18_54_17.thumb.png.c3d8549a356bc3988f2b5ea16dc3e51d.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, befehr said:

The result is the same whether it's the native ai or pdf. So, you are saying that CorelDRAW accesses data the AD does not?

Yes, I am saying that. CD is able to open AI files directly. How well it does depends on the contents or construction though. It's pretty good at it. 

41 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

As an exercise...

1. Created an ai file
  2. Created  a few box shapes
  3. Selected the box shapes and duplicated them
  4. I selected the original boxes and grouped them
  5. I created a New Layer and a new Sub Layer
  6. I dragged the duplicate boxes to the Sub Layer
  7. I saved the file and opened it in Affinity Designer 
  8. AD displayed the group as a Layer with Sub Layers representing the boxes
  9. It did the same for the New Layer and the Sub Layer

Ad doesn't distinguish between a Group or a sub layer.

Illustrator.

5afdc18fe7ec9_ScreenShot2018-05-17at18_52_39.thumb.png.d5f888c20b29bce7e654bc368f6df1fd.png

Affinity Designer.

5afdc1dc0c7ac_ScreenShot2018-05-17at18_54_17.thumb.png.c3d8549a356bc3988f2b5ea16dc3e51d.png

I did something similar, creating groups of circles. On one layer,  in one group I have a group within a group. When I open in AD, there are no groupings.

Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 1.32.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 1.35.34 PM.png

This is the file I made: Grouped or not.ai

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Corel Draw, Illustrator, and Affinity Designer are all propriety formats that give their user certain benefits, un fortunately they also make it difficult to translate from one program to another, honouring Layers layouts and grouping is one thing but Corel Draw doesn't always play nice with AI files and will remove certain features that have been done in AI.

Sometimes it's about finding a solution, albeit a bit clumsy and Child Layers seem to be that solution, you could export as an SVG. 

Update: removed Child Layer.

In Illustrator

5afe85550539e_ScreenShot2018-05-18at08_42_45.png.1b1091c2aa4a9ba684c501d040c0d818.png

SVG opened in Affinity Designer

5afe8555d1381_ScreenShot2018-05-18at08_45_53.png.8b51a49b4fbe4f24540d30bc58c8d430.png

Grouped or not copy.svg

• 3 years later...

this is always a big issue for me. I buy a lot of graphics stock art - objects that are places very closed together, and when opening in AD directly and becomes incredibly tedious to re-group, especially when there is no lasso select tool in AD.

However, one quick work-around: open the file in Illustrator and save as SVG. Then open the SVG in AD - this works for me. The only issue is that are often issues between EPS, AI and SVG files. For instance SVG is the common design language that both AD and AI read with good fidelity. But AI has different shading and coloring that is specifically only to AI.

7 minutes ago, abarkalo said:

... I buy a lot of graphics stock art - objects that are places very closed together, and when opening in AD...

Perhaps a word to the stock art owners as well as here.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.