You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Millstone

Octiron

Made using Affinity Designer Beta.  Texture tiling and engraved text on two paths.

A customer asked me to make this for him.  Lots of fiddling left to do, and any suggestions about how to make it look more authentic would be welcome, but I thought I'd post it as my first attempt to use the new text on a path tools.

You guys rock.  Thank you :-)

post-1818-0-97215700-1424730659_thumb.png

Thanks for the suggestion Peter!  I switched it to mixture of overlay and lighten mode blending and reduced the opacity a bit to try to bring some of the underlying texture through - an improvement I think but still a way to go.  Amongst other things I'd like to be able to apply some radial chipping / scoring to the edges of the engraved lettering but I'm not sure how to go about it.  I'm enjoying experimenting though and I have to say that the text on a path tool is a joy to use.  My imagination exceeds my skill.

I can't see how to attach a file to this reply though.  Maybe the morning will bring enlightenment.

Edit: Silly me, needed the full editor.

post-1818-0-01033600-1424733727_thumb.png

Try using the FX panel for embossing/debossing the type... that might help a bit...

Also, roughening up the edges of the type a hair once you convert it to curves can also help add some realism...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

I like what you've done with the font so far, and the texture is great.  I would focus on lighting also, that will help the font read if it is ON TOP of everything else or engraved into the stone. The lighting on the texture is strong enough that it should have some effect on the lettering too.  :-) 

I agree with what everyone has said and I like to add roughen up the edges. Look where the shadows and the lights are and look at references for visual cues. 

Cheers and Good Luck!

Just a quick note to say that you don't need to use two paths for this. If you type it all on one path around the circle and then drag the red triangle back over the text it will split the text into the top and bottom half automatically. You can then drag the baseline slider to adjust the baseline shift which will snap nicely to descender, baseline, x-height and ascender.

It's great!!!

Or you can just hit Return where you want the text to break. Now we have the Layers > Convert to Path Text menu option, that should split the circle into top and bottom halves by default, so you can type the top text, centre align, hit return, and type the bottom text, without needing to adjust the sliders.

Or you can just hit Return where you want the text to break. Now we have the Layers > Convert to Path Text menu option, that should split the circle into top and bottom halves by default, so you can type the top text, centre align, hit return, and type the bottom text, without needing to adjust the sliders.

i can't believe i didn't try that first :)