You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Tutorial

Hi everyone,

i'm a graphic design student i'm using AD almost every day for my vector graphic needs but recently i'm starting to practice on some logos and i really don't know how i'm suppose to approach certain drawing like the one posted below. Do you guys know to make effects like the one around the phoenix body (the purplish), i'm trying with brushes but it's the first time i'm using those. if you have any tutorials about something like that would be awesome.

9da52bd9d23e84ab03646188be6bed4f--rising-phoenix-tattoo-phoenix-tattoos.jpg

• Staff

Hi Darkvalky,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Yes, brushes are probably the best way to achieve this type of effect. Check the attached file. It's basically a shape with a brush plus a gradient (from purple to black) applied to the stroke. I've used a generic brush which doesn't look like the effect on your example but you can create your own or download one from the ones shared in the Resources section on this forum (check this page where i have listed a few of them). Then lay them one over the other all over the main shape of the dragon to build a similar image as shown on your example.

example2.afdesign