You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Have not had much time to play around with Affinity Photo yet and would like to know if it will support Photoshop Clipping Paths at some point?

If not, what are the best practises for reusing current images with clipping paths, if Photoshop is no longer an option?

2009: 27 inch iMac / Intel Core i5 / 2.66 GHz / 16 GB Memory / System: Yosemite 10.10.3 – PRINCIPAL DESIGN SOFTWARE: QuarkXpress 9.5.1, 10.5 and 2015 / Pinegrow Web Designer / Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo / Acorn

No replies?

2009: 27 inch iMac / Intel Core i5 / 2.66 GHz / 16 GB Memory / System: Yosemite 10.10.3 – PRINCIPAL DESIGN SOFTWARE: QuarkXpress 9.5.1, 10.5 and 2015 / Pinegrow Web Designer / Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo / Acorn

• 2 months later...

I too would like to know about clipping paths. Does Affinity Photo plan to support them and as well, enable us to create them in Affinity Photo (maybe there is a way but if there is I couldn't find it).

Hokusai

• Staff

Hi omegaman, Hokusai,

You can already create and save clipping paths in Affinity Photo. They are preserved when you export the file as PSD.

To create a clipping path draw it with the Pen Tool then, from the Layers panel drag it over the thumbnail of the layer you want to clip until a blue vertical line appears. Currently it's not possible to convert a selection into a path.

MEB,

Thanks for the info! I'm glad to hear that clipping paths are supported. You said that it isn't possible to convert a selection into a path right now but how about converting a path into a selection? I'm guessing it isn't possible? 

Hokusai

Tried the drag layer over the thumbnail bit and my image disappeared altogether. Also, part of the path was visible and jagged?

Was using the 1.2.1 version. A vid might be helpful here I think.

Thanks, Hokusai. I will give it another try. Must have done something wrong.

• Staff

MEB,

Thanks for the info! I'm glad to hear that clipping paths are supported. You said that it isn't possible to convert a selection into a path right now but how about converting a path into a selection? I'm guessing it isn't possible? 

Hokusai

That is already possible  ;)

After creating the path with the Pen tool go to the context toolbar (with the Pen tool still selected) and press Selection button. The path will be converted to a selection.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi omegaman, Hokusai,

You can already create and save clipping paths in Affinity Photo. They are preserved when you export the file as PSD.

To create a clipping path draw it with the Pen Tool then, from the Layers panel drag it over the thumbnail of the layer you want to clip until a blue vertical line appears. Currently it's not possible to convert a selection into a path.

Actually this won't work – the path is not appearing in InDesign.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

That's too bad since it is a very basic operation I usually rely on for doing clipping paths for a very long time now. If I have a solid background around an object it is usually quickest to just use the wand tool to select the background to select most of what I want then use the brush to do detail around the part , do an inverse selection and then convert that to paths. Is this on the to do list?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.