PatrickBosKessen

Sinhala tekst handled oddly?

Hi all,

I'm trying to write Sinhala in Designer and whilst I see the text coreectly in Pages and Notes, it's wrong in Designer. I've addes a screenshot so you can see and it doesn't matter if I use a specific Sinhala font or not, this is what happens.

Anyone? Am I doing something wrong?

Schermafbeelding 2018-05-17 om 09.02.05.png

Hey PatrickBosKessen,

I can reproduce this so I'll log it with our development team. We already have a few issues logged where fonts with lots of glyphs or symbols will not display correctly. I'll update the thread once I have some feedback. 

It looks like a problem with combining forms, rather than a problem with the number of glyphs as such.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

I've just had a reply back from development. I've been told this is something we plan on improving over time however, it is quite a big task so we cannot provide any ETA's on such improvements. Thanks for reporting this. 

It means that it isn't a quick fix and is actually quite complicated to implement as we do not fully support many types of combine forms for complex scripts—this is what needs to be developed over time. As with any issue that is logged with development and unfortunately, we cannot promise any timescales for fixes.

I understand that there isn't a quick fix and that it can be complicated and I'm not asking for a promise but for commitment to solve this issue, if we agree that it should be solved, within a reasonable time.

In the mean time, I design flyers and posters for our foundation ( https://yworks.org/en/ ) and I can't design them in Sinhala due to this bug. What do you suggest? Because as I understand that fixes cost time, alternatives cost money.

From what I can tell, the Sinhala typed into Affinity will paste into a translation engine exactly the same as pasting the same written text from another app. So it seems to be more if a display issue than an actual input issue (I can't be sure). 

This would mean anything pasted into Affinity (or typed) will be wrong, currently. Rasterized text would be fine but obviously not ideal—at all! I promise to update you whenever the bug report has any activity on it but I cannot think of a workaround until we can display the text correctly :/

So whats the status on fixing this bug? I tried Quark 2018 to see how it works as I didn't report this bug just for the fun of it but because I need the functionality and it had the same bug.

Quark however fixed it when I reported it but as anyone that has ever use Quark possibly knows, it's horrible!

Hi, sorry, I've removed the last comments as I had got myself mixed up with two different but similar issues. 

There has been no progress on this and we haven't had a Mac beta for quite some time so I haven't even had the chance to test anything. All I can do is keep reminding dev that you are unable to use the app for what you need and to update you once I get notified of any changes.