You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Objects won't become selected (Bug?)

So I have been recently having an issue with Affinity Designer, and I don't know if anyone else has had this issue (Please share if you did) but randomly when I am working on projects, I suddenly loose the ability to edit objects (Which is kinda important considering its a vector editor)... But suddenly, I won't be able to do anything with objects except edit their properties using the studio tabs. I mean, I can select the objects, but the selection indicator won't show up, and I can't drag it around. The object will be selected on the layers panel, but no other indication shows it is selected. Furthermore, I cannot perform any node editing or anything when the program is in this state.

The only solution I have found is to save the project and then close AD and reopen it. However, these issues keep happening more frequently. This shouldn't happen, since this is a professional level vector editor, and such restarts can be annoying and ruin a workflow.

I am using the Windows version. It may be the computer I am using, however.

Does anyone know what is going on?

Edit: I just noticed a bug report section in the forums. I'll leave this here in case anyone has any solutions (Or if this isn't a bug) but if it is an issue, I will report it to the bug report section in the forums. Sorry!

I've had something similar happen, but not in any way I could consistently duplicate the problem. I can select an object, and that is reported in a highlight of the layer in the layers panel. But I can't move it with the mouse, but can move it with the arrow keys.  Since I've had problems w. the mouse, I supposed that may be where the problem lies. 

As shown in my sig, I'm using a Mac, and sometimes the bluetooth connection does not work right. Seems to be from weak batteries and outside interference.

If I save, and re-open the problem goes away.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2018 at 4:30 AM, MEB said:

Hi #SVG,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Can you please check if you have the Edit All Layers button enabled on the bottom left of the Layers panel? If not enable it. Does it fix the issue?

Actually, this problem happened to me again and it turns out I CAN edit the properties with the mouse, I just cannot see the selection marks so I don't know where to click to stretch, rotate, skew, etc. So everything seems to work fine, except I cannot see the indications that show if the object is selected or not. Weird.

So I'm pretty sure it's a bug. Hopefully it will get patched soon.

On 5/16/2018 at 8:46 PM, gdenby said:

I've had something similar happen, but not in any way I could consistently duplicate the problem. I can select an object, and that is reported in a highlight of the layer in the layers panel. But I can't move it with the mouse, but can move it with the arrow keys.  Since I've had problems w. the mouse, I supposed that may be where the problem lies. 

As shown in my sig, I'm using a Mac, and sometimes the bluetooth connection does not work right. Seems to be from weak batteries and outside interference.

If I save, and re-open the problem goes away.

I have similar issues. I don't think my issue is with my mouse at all. If I save and reopen, the problem goes away (So it's not serious, just annoying).

I will try to analyze the issue further to see if I can find a source for this issue (Or something I do that causes this bug to happen). However, until then, I hope it just goes away.