You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have just purchased Affinity and have some questions.

1/  Can the icons be made larger?

2/ If I wanted to download a second copy to my Desktop computer, how would I do that?

3/  My screen does not look like the tutorial screens. There is no reference to the pixel base image in the lower right side of the screen,nor are there the red dots on the drop down menus when an adjustment layer is activated. Why???

Thanks

B.

1/ Not as far as I’m aware.

2/ Based on your third question, I’m guessing you’re on Windows. Log in to the Affinity Store from your other computer, click on your name in the top right-hand corner to go to your account page, and then click on the ‘Downloads & Product Keys’ link on that page.

3/ Many of the tutorial videos were made when there was only a Mac version. The ‘traffic lights’ are roughly equivalent to the ‘Maximize/Restore’, ‘Minimize’ and ‘Close’ icons on Windows. (I’m not sure what you mean by “the pixel base image”.)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Robert Best said:

1/  Can the icons be made larger?

For Windows, I believe your only control over the icon size comes from adjusting the Display Scaling setting in the Windows Control Panel. That will affect all the applications you run on that computer, but if you want to try it, and you're currently at 100%, you might try 125% or 150%.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...

Which particular tutorial(s) have you been watching? The effect of using the Gradient Tool will depend on the layer’s blend mode, and whether you’re working on a fill layer, a pixel layer or a mask.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I have be following the tutorials on Vimeo and trying to duplicate their movements. When they apply a gradient, it shows as a red color over the photo. When I do it, it floods the screen with grey and shows the gradient from light to dark. Where do I go from there??

B.

• Staff

Hi Robert Best,
Welcome to Affinity ForumsTool Overlay :)

From the description on your post above seems they are using the Add Gradient Overlay tool in Develop Persona (Overlays panel). What tutorial are you seeing? Can you post the link please?

In they are in Photo Persona check if the tutorial is using the Gradient Tool on a Fill Layer (menu Layer ▸ New Fill Layer) - you can identify the layer type looking at the label between parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layers panel (if it has name). Fill Layer keeps the gradient editable. You are probably applying it to a Pixel layer type which overwrites the contents of the layer.

• Staff

The white to grey gradient is the default gradient colours that the Gradient Tool applies when you use it for the first time on a document. You can set the colours to whatever you wish. Not sure this addresses your issue.

If you could post a link to the video tutorial you are following we may be able to help your further.