You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush settings for manual stippling on AD

I'm new to digital art so this is all a bit of a learning curve for me. I'm wondering what the best brush settings would be to be able to add stippling dot by dot. I don't want to use a brush that adds a bunch of dots at once, but so far I haven't found a way to use the brush tool by just pointing and clicking without having to also drag the brush. What am I missing?

• Staff

Hi @DirkFunk,

Welcome to the forums. 

You would expect this if you're working in Affinity Designer and not Photo. Designer is a vector-based software. Being this said, you cannot have "single" point, as vectors are defined by a start and end point. So, to have a "point", you will need 2 points either close together, or you can work by using shapes - Circles or rectangles. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

@DirkFunk

Stippling has been mentioned a few times before. Perform a search for "Stippling" throughout the forum.

As far as I know, there are no possibilities to created dot-by-dot stippling in any graphics program and believe me,

I've tested quite a few.

You could however, create your own brush, a single dot and use that.

Other than that, there is "Stipple Gen 2" free, but it will stipple an entire picture at once.

There is also Photoscape X, also free, which has a stippling function that can be done by masking or brushing.

Best of luck

Hi, DirkFunk

In either AD or AP, you have 2 options. Ordinary raster brushes that have a small cross section can be laid down w. single clicks. One can use the vector circle shape also at a small size, and then move it around holding down the command key, which will duplicate it as dragged around.  If using the the vector circle, you will end up w. an immense number of layers, which you will most likely want to gather into groups. Note that a circle can be made into a symbol. You can make several circle symbols, and command drag them around, and then change the hue of shape of masses all at once by altering a single instance.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

@DirkFunk Would be nice to know what you are trying to achieve, are you trying to create a pointillism style?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions