You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating a texture brush for masking

Hello everyone, I'm trying to create some custom brushes to use when painting over masking layers, but I cannot achieve my desired result. This is the new Image Brush I made (white on transparent background):

brush_settings2.png.8911bb8acaed66c8ac4ca9adb8c3b8fd.png

brush_settings3.png.afd771153a4ee9f3e4b5dfa1f59d0a44.png

brush_settings4.png.414851e52b7a409d6cb07faae128d9db.png

The layer setup:

layer.png.37dec633de3e2daec1650024632a54eb.png

What I want to use this for is adding/subtracting from a mask, but the transparency is not ignored in the process, resulting in something like this when adding to the mask:

result.png.dcebfcb554dc91276ff4fa4a570c7603.png

As you can see the transparency acts on the mask layer as an eraser (I'm using the pixel brush), and the only thing that I want to do and can do is removing from the mask while holding down CTRL (to erase).

Is there a setting, or color combination in the brush image that I can use in order to have the desired effect of only adding or subtracting the brush shape, ignoring the rest of the image?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers

grass-inverted.png

• Staff

Hi @Burn,

Welcome to the forums. 

I've had a look and this has been logged already with our developers as a bug. We know about the issue and we hope to get a fix in the next updates. 

Sorry for any inconvenience. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

1 hour ago, owenr said:

You don't need to wait.

Use an Intensity Brush, not an Image Brush, to paint in a mask.

The image used for the brush nozzle should be fully opaque, with black representing full application of paint and white representing no application of paint.

Worked like a charm! THANK YOU!