You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Snap to grid not working in Photo

Hi, I'm just starting to use Affinity Photo, and I can't seem to get the Snap to grid function to work.

I've got a grid visible on screen, and I've enabled snapping, and got all the boxes ticked in the snapping manager including 'snap to grid'.

Then when I paint with the brush tool, my brush paints exactly where the cursor is on screen when I click without being snapped to a grid position.  I've tried changing the screen tolerance from minimum to maximum, tried zooming in to the image, and tried moving the cursor really close to a grid corner when clicking, but it brush tool never snaps to a grid position.

Same with the select tool - I can't seem to coax the select tool to only snap to grid boundaries when making a selection.

Am I doing something wrong?  Thanks!

As far as I'm aware brushes don't snap, it kind of goes against the grain of the medium don't you think?

with regard to selections have you tried using the options from the lasso icon (L) pressing (L) scrolls through the selection tools, try those.

5afc403c3cea0_ScreenShot2018-05-16at15_28_55.png.3c9f9e97c764affc263c93e35a0b5502.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Seriously?

According to the in-app help:

"Snapping causes images, brush strokes, lines, shapes, and selection areas to align to nearby grid lines, guides, margins, or spreads, or any combination of these."

I genuinely don't think I can work without snap to grid!

I've tried snapping brushstrokes and I can't get them to snap either. The selection tools don't snap as well, I need to look at this more, one mo.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Snapping for vector lines, shapes, and text

Snapping causes images, brush strokes, lines, shapes, and selection areas to align to nearby grid lines, guides, margins, or spreads, or any combination of these. You can also snap to object bounding boxes, key points on shapes and to an object's geometry. Text can also snap to the baseline of other text (the first line only for text frames).

15 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

with regard to selections have you tried using the options from the lasso icon (L) pressing (L) scrolls through the selection tools, try those.

5afc403c3cea0_ScreenShot2018-05-16at15_28_55.png.3c9f9e97c764affc263c93e35a0b5502.png

Tried the different selection tools, but none snap to grid. I can get selections to snap to document edges (although that doesn't work with the freehand tool), but nothing else.

4 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Snapping for vector lines, shapes, and text

Snapping causes images, brush strokes, lines, shapes, and selection areas to align to nearby grid lines, guides, margins, or spreads, or any combination of these. You can also snap to object bounding boxes, key points on shapes and to an object's geometry. Text can also snap to the baseline of other text (the first line only for text frames).

Ah, thanks, I missed that heading.

So there's no snap to grid for brushes and selections?

That's a real shame, as I think that's a showstopper for me :(

• Staff

Hi Ste Pickford,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The brushes in Affinity Photo are raster based. They are not attached to any vector path and thus don't snap to the grid/guides etc. Currently this can only be achieved in Affinity Designer using the vector based brushes from the Brushes panel in Draw Persona. The Pixel Persona uses the same raster based brush engine as Affinity Photo - so these will not work either. 

[EDIT] Selections do already work with snapping. My apologies for the mistake.

You can use vector shapes to make selections, these vector shapes will snap to the grid, so you should also be able to use the pen tool to make more complex selections and once done Command click on the layer to create the selection, the path shapes created will need to have a fill before the selection can be created.

2 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

You can use vector shapes to make selections, these vector shapes will snap to the grid, so you should also be able to use the pen tool to make more complex selections and once done Command click on the layer to create the selection

Ah, OK, that might be a workaround.  Thanks.

Will have a play with that.  

I gotta go, but any questions @MEB will know :)

15 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Ah, OK, that might be a workaround.  Thanks.

You can get the freehand selection tool (lasso) to snap to the grid if you use the polygon mode. Or it seems to.

mag.jpg.2e6c5ff84bfb721bb12aebf15deb7af3.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• Staff

Hi Ste Pickford,

Selections do already work with snapping (my apologies for the mistake), however this seems to be a little buggy at the moment.

Another way to work around this if you already have created the selection is to change to the Move Tool, press Q to enter Quick Mask mode then resize/move the selection to snap it to the grid. Press Q again to exit quick mask mode.

[EDIT] Seems there's a couple of issues here (that differ between Windows and Mac versions). I'm logging these to be looked at.