You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A floating palette for special text/symbols?

I have a request that might be best for all products, including APub. CorelDRAW has had a Symbols Manager and an Insert Character palette for years, and like a pasteboard, it's a great way to quickly add an element that is reused a lot, somewhat like MS-Word's Insert Special.Example? You have copied an ornamental cap, and want to use it as a drop cap over and over again In DRAW, more or less, you drag the symbol off a palette to add it to, the document.

If I've exlained this satisfactorily, is this do-able down the road?

TIA,

Gary

clip tray.png

new-AD-slug.png.458b94d5dc178383711ce27afd725aae.png

16 hours ago, AuthorAuthor said:

it's a great way to quickly add an element that is reused a lot

Hi Gary,

you might also look into the Assets panel (View > Studio > Assets). If I understand you correctly this should do what you are looking for as long as you place your own assets there beforehand.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Hi Gary,

Text items as drop caps may not be the best example for assets. Not for APub anyway as it will have a DC feature and I would just use paragraph styles for such a thing. Same goes for perhaps the pointing finger if it was a font-based pointing finger as it could either be a DC or a bullet/numbering style for a lead-in.

But as mentioned, the assets panel can be used in AD as well as using such a thing for symbols for graphic elements.

Hi Make—

Drops caps were just an example, not the best one, admittedly I find, after due deliberation and actually experimenting before complaining here (!) that the Assets palette fits the bill for adding re-occurring elements. For me, however, I will need to keep the UI Light under Preferences, because it's hard to see a saved element that is all black.

Thanks again!

Gary

Too dark.png

new-AD-slug.png.458b94d5dc178383711ce27afd725aae.png

And it might be hard to see light gray to white elements using the light UI...dunno as I've not used it.

CD would well be served if it had proper text styles. What I consider work-arounds ain't worth it. Glad I don't use it for more than a seat-of-your-pants brochure!

But then, I feel the same about using AD for such things. I'm glad text styles, which AD does have, are getting revamped.

I guess I like my options for doing layout work and am happy that at some point I'll have another option. Options drive every company's innovation. Well, except Xara's...