You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Above one layer but below another

5 minutes ago, MEB said:

Copy the first shape (number 1) and place it over the last one (number 2 in your image), then select both and perform a subtract boolean operation.

thanks for the answer
I did so to get a second example

but I wanted to know if there are more universal options that are applicable to more complex and multilayered figures

53 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi vasya,

Other than performing boolean operations (compounds included) or masks/clipping, there's no specific functionality in Designer to achieve what you want. What are you referring to specifically when you mention universal options? Any feature from another app?

sorry, i meant
how to make layer 1 above layer 2, but below layer 3

quick css example https://jsfiddle.net/b9m1ggjn/

Z9XQmUQ.pngSXwAvmz.png

need a special mask on layer 1, which will show layer 3
i googled and did not find anything like this, probably it's not needed by anyone except me or I just was not looking properly

i can not find where there is such a function or mask, I thought, maybe in affinity there is such a function

most likely there is no such function anywhere

A slight variation on the method mentioned by MEB may be useful for some projects:

1. Begin by creating just the first lobe of the design; move its rotation center to the pointed end.

2. Duplicate this lobe & rotate it to the appropriate angle.

3. Subtract the rotated duplicate from the first one to get a single lobe with a cutout.

4. Duplicate this lobe & rotate it to the appropriate angle for the second lobe.

5. Power duplicate to add the remaining lobes.

6. (Optional) Group all the lobes to make moving & resizing the design easy.

Note 1: To get perfect angular alignment, if the number of lobes is such that snapping to 15° increments using the shift key won't do this (like if there are to be 7, 9, 15, etc. lobes), enter 360/n, where n is the number of lobes, in the R field of the Transform panel in step 2. Don't worry if the angle showing in the R field is rounded after pressing Return or Tab to apply the rotation -- internally, the rotation is accurate to 6 or more significant figures.

Note 2: If you are using Affinity Designer, consider making the cutout lobe in step 3 a symbol. Set the rotation center of the child curve of this symbol to the pointed end before continuing on to step 4. Duplicating a symbol has some advantages if you want to modify the shape of the lobes later, particularly if the lobes are filled. To get an idea of how this works, 12 blade fan.afdesign uses symbols.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

It is simple. Just add a step into the routine. Make the petal shape Duplicate, and rotate whichever way. Subtract the duplicate. The remaining shape can then be duplicated around a shifted rotation center. Take all the shapes, add them, and manipulate nodes as you like.

In the example below, I use a tear shape, w. a pressure modified stroke. I placed it over a cloud shape so I could easily match the "ball" size of the tear to the cloud arc. Then did as described above. 

PetalMake.thumb.jpg.833e51fee6dc1cd98559ba25c815b6c3.jpg

And a bit of fun

PetalFun1.jpg.d4d384ef83b17093fc0dff2d25eac157.jpgPetalFun2.jpg.512cc367d50521b0316e65af43122e68.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet