JMEdinburgh

Can't open any file (RAW or JPEG) in Affinity Photo

31 posts in this topic

Hi,

I bought Affinity photo a few months ago but did not really use until now.  However, I cannot open any file, I get an error message and then the program stops, so renders the program unusable 

The error I get is as follows: An unhandled exception has occurred and the application cannot continue.  The Crash reporter will be displayed after the application exits.  Reference: 44459005-ba6e-4f91-a686-1aa35c5834ad.

When first bought I tried to open the program and have a try and this worked ok then.  I'm using windows 10.

Can anyone help ? 

Hey JMEdinburgh,

Can you confirm that you have the latest Windows updates and you're also running the most recent version of Affinity. If you are all up to date, can you launch the app with the Ctrl key held down on your keyboard and click Clear when prompted. 

Hi Chris B,

I am experiencing the same issue(s) as JMEdinburgh, being a new user yet able to open a file.  After trying your suggestion of app lauch with Ctrl key held followed by Clear, the issue remains unresolved.  I am running Windows 10 with Affinity Photo v 1.6.4.  Your help to resolve the error is most appreciated.

On 5/15/2018 at 8:25 AM, Chris B said:

Hey JMEdinburgh,

Can you confirm that you have the latest Windows updates and you're also running the most recent version of Affinity. If you are all up to date, can you launch the app with the Ctrl key held down on your keyboard and click Clear when prompted. 

Hi Chris, many thanks for your reply.  I have tried the 'ctrl' - 'clear' but this does not resolve anything.  Affinity just closes when I tried to open a file, I dont get the error message anymore though

Hi guys,

Can you please install the beta. AFAIK there are no direct fixes for anything to do with RAW but it would make sense for us to test this on the most recent build that is currently available. We can then grab a set of new crash reports from you and I can pass it to development.

Hi Chris,

According to Patrick Connor's March 6 post, I am running the newest version of Affinity Photo for Windows (v 1.6.4.104) and there is currently no beta version.  Kindly let me know if that has been updated and the link to use for beta download.

BTW, I have submitted an error report related to this issue under the email bach@gwi.net.

Thanks, Kin

Screenshot (26).png

Hi,

I was unable to open APh and AD for 3 weeks (v 1.6.4.104 and 1.6.2, Win 10) for 3 weeks… because of a new font I had to install (and forgeted I did it).

When I checked for fonts, I suddenly saw this one (Clan font), uninstalled it and I was again able to run the apps.

Since the most recents updates for Win 10 modify things about fonts, for now it's a pain… last one broke Suitcase and I had to use some tricks to get it to be able to mount font as usual…

Sometimes, the apps would launch if I started them early after booting — before Suitcase service was launched ?

1 hour ago, kbach said:

Hi Chris,

According to Patrick Connor's March 6 post, I am running the newest version of Affinity Photo for Windows (v 1.6.4.104) and there is currently no beta version.  Kindly let me know if that has been updated and the link to use for beta download.

There is a new beta, as announced here. The download link is there.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, April 2018 Update (1803), 16.0GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104 and 1.6.5.109 Beta
Affinity Designer 1.6.4.104 and 1.6.5.109 Beta

9 hours ago, Wosven said:

Hi,

I was unable to open APh and AD for 3 weeks (v 1.6.4.104 and 1.6.2, Win 10) for 3 weeks… because of a new font I had to install (and forgeted I did it).

When I checked for fonts, I suddenly saw this one (Clan font), uninstalled it and I was again able to run the apps.

Since the most recents updates for Win 10 modify things about fonts, for now it's a pain… last one broke Suitcase and I had to use some tricks to get it to be able to mount font as usual…

Sometimes, the apps would launch if I started them early after booting — before Suitcase service was launched ?

We've got a bug logged with development wherein enabling Google fonts within Suitcase (about 2000 fonts get added) our apps can become unresponsive. I'm a bit surprised a single font was causing it though. I'll see if I can get a copy of it. I've just had a look and it seems to be quite an expensive font to acquire. I'll have to see if anyone has a copy in the building. 

Thanks for the link @walt.farrell—I completely forgot to post it. 

Wosven likes this

23 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hi guys,

Can you please install the beta. AFAIK there are no direct fixes for anything to do with RAW but it would make sense for us to test this on the most recent build that is currently available. We can then grab a set of new crash reports from you and I can pass it to development.

Hi Chris,

Same issue appears on the beta, I've sent the error report.

This is really annoying as I cannot use the program for anything

Thanks for the update JMEdinburgh. 

Can you all clarify if you're using Suitcase for your fonts?

For dev ref:
1ed0b1d5-8990-4619-9702-64e4c050cf33
280ec9b5-e5dd-4492-91b2-6cb952fd4dd8

36 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Thanks for the update JMEdinburgh. 

Can you all clarify if you're using Suitcase for your fonts?

For dev ref:
1ed0b1d5-8990-4619-9702-64e4c050cf33
280ec9b5-e5dd-4492-91b2-6cb952fd4dd8

I'm not sure how to check Chris B, I have not installed anything separately - unless it is included in Win10 updates

I think your issue is separate to the one that Wosven has posted. I'll split it into a second thread—I'll split the posts later.

It seems as though you *might* be getting a crash within DirectX. The crash report isn't really telling us much else. So this is very likely a driver issue. Can you please try and update your graphics drivers. If you want to provide a dxdiag it might help:

1. Press Windows key + R on your keyboard
  2. Type in the box the following: dxdiag
  3. Click Save all information
  4. Attach the text file 

Once we've ruled out a possible driver issue, we can look at what to try next. You can quickly test the graphics driver theory by going to Preferences > Performance > Renderer > WARP.

@Chris B

I think your first instruction to JMEdinburgh should read:

"Press Windows key +R on your keyboard"

:)

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, AMD Radeon R7 360 and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer and Photo; looking forward to Affinity Publisher.

16 minutes ago, emmrecs01 said:

"Press Windows key +R on your keyboard"

This is true for older versions of Windows. It isn't necessary to bring up the RUN box up in Windows 10 though (which the OP is on). Just pressing the Windows key will allow you to search and find dxdiag.

stokerg likes this

On 5/16/2018 at 6:12 AM, Chris B said:

Hi guys,

Thanks to @walt.farrell for the link to the current beta version.

The same Unhandled Exception error occurs in the beta version as with v 1.6.4.104.  I have submitted crash reports for both.

@kbach Can you change your Renderer to WARP from Properties > Performance. This will help determine if it's a GPU driver issue.

This is true for older versions of Windows. It isn't necessary to bring up the RUN box up in Windows 10 though (which the OP is on). Just pressing the Windows key will allow you to search and find dxdiag.

But don't you still have to then use the Cortana "box" to search?  On my system (Win 10, 1709), pressing the Windows key merely displays the beginning of the alphabetical list of installed programs and the tiles panel.  :/

Chris B likes this

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, AMD Radeon R7 360 and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer and Photo; looking forward to Affinity Publisher.

10 minutes ago, Chris B said:

@kbach Can you change your Renderer to WARP from Properties > Performance. This will help determine if it's a GPU driver issue.

I changed the renderer to WARP in beta from Edit>Preferences>Performance.  Still encountering file open error.  Crash report submitted and my local error log is attached 

Log.txt

42 minutes ago, emmrecs01 said:

But don't you still have to then use the Cortana "box" to search?  On my system (Win 10, 1709), pressing the Windows key merely displays the beginning of the alphabetical list of installed programs and the tiles panel.  :/

No. You can just start typing after pressing the Windows key. It will perform a search as you type and display a list of possibilities for you to select from.

emmrecs01 likes this

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, April 2018 Update (1803), 16.0GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104 and 1.6.5.109 Beta
Affinity Designer 1.6.4.104 and 1.6.5.109 Beta

@kbach That log has shed a bit more light on things and I've been advised to ask if you can uninstall your current graphics drivers and then do a fresh install. Don't just do an update.

29 minutes ago, kbach said:

I changed the renderer to WARP in beta from Edit>Preferences>Performance.  Still encountering file open error.  Crash report submitted and my local error log is attached 

Log.txt

Looking at your log, it looks like either your driver is defective, or you don't have the pre-requisite DirectX version installed.

Error 0x887A0004 (The specified device interface or feature level is not supported on this system.)

Can you confirm what version of DirectX you have installed?

Polite note: if you are going to submit a crash report and are expecting feedback (i.e. on here), please let us know the reference number. Many thanks :) 

37 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Looking at your log, it looks like either your driver is defective, or you don't have the pre-requisite DirectX version installed.

Can you confirm what version of DirectX you have installed?

DirectX 12 is installed, diagnostic report attached

Screenshot (28).png