You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer for Windows -- New guides placement defaults to center of graphic in dialog box...

Is there a reason the guide defaults to the center of the graphic? And can this be changed? It is problematic when creating a grid system, because means I have to scroll to see the last value before I punch in the new value... and it's time consuming (and clunky) to do this action over and over...

The correct way I think would to create the guideline near where you have a selected value... so say I select a guide that exists @ 1.2in... It would create a duplicate of that value when I hit new.

It sounds like you are creating the guides in the Guides Manager.

Would you get better results dragging the guides from the rulers? Even if you only placed the roughly before going into the Guides Manager and tidying them up.

Drag guides from the rulers using the Move tool, or by holding Alt and dragging from the rulers using any tool.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

9 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

It sounds like you are creating the guides in the Guides Manager.

Would you get better results dragging the guides from the rulers? Even if you only placed the roughly before going into the Guides Manager and tidying them up.

Drag guides from the rulers using the Move tool, or by holding Alt and dragging from the rulers using any tool.

Yes I am using the Guides Manager. I like the numerical table because I can confirm the placement...

I can pull out from rulers, but it doesn't always show me the tool tip showing the numeric position which is why I started using the Guides mgr. Snapping can be a little unpredictable at times too and it is difficult to get to trigger the way I need. I have to open the Guides mgr to confirm the position numerically.

Probably another way would be to create a set of blocks and arrange them in the grid and then "snap" the grid that way and then snap the guides in that way... I may start doing it that way. It's good too if you want the columns to show up in another layer for example... I think the Guides Manager would be efficient on it's own, but it needs to allow you to effect the default placement of a new guide in some way so it doesn't always begin at the center point... or at least allow the new guide to appear near where your cursor is (whatever the value)... though that is very useful on it's own that it calculate center values for you.

Guides mgr also will take mathematical adjustments, which is nice... I create the column I want and the gaps and I just punch in +(number) and it creates the guide in that placement... there doesn't appear to be a way to select the guide and change it's placement without using the dialog box?