You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

As a FreeHand jockey whose 32-bit MacBook Pro finally went to its reward, AD is exactly what I've been looking for. So far, the beta performs beautifully. Very few problems. Amazingly stable for a beta…  Huge kudos to AD developers for this wonderful program! When it's released, I'll be the first in line.

The FreeHand tools (or facsimiles) I'm hoping for include:

Add points & simplify points

Envelope warping (or some kind of object-distortion tool)

3D rotation (perspective tool) 

Fisheye lens

Roughen effect

Expand Stroke, Stroke to path & Inset path 

Text flow around objects, along paths & flow between text boxes

Multiple pages, with a scratch area for layout design work

A lot to expect, I know. But when Affinity Designer can do these things, then it really is adios, Illustrator...

I've heard that AD developers may be working on opening Freehand files. If so, then I DO believe in Santa Claus! Also, IMHO, pro-level CYMK prepress isn't a big priority since the vast majority of users (even Illustrator users) don't do 4-color publishing.

Thanks again for filling a big hole in the Mac vector sphere...

• Staff

Santa Claus does exist though, surely!?! We can prove it too - the Freehand import is working really well at the moment and if you have any files you want me to test it against, then just send them over to support@seriflabs.com and we can make sure it works properly :) We'll obviously treat any files confidentially and they will be deleted after we've validated the import - we could even try to send you a .afdesign version back so you can use that file in Designer right now!

I'm going to work on Expand Stroke in a bit and also being able to use the pasteboard and see the objects on it soon. We already have functioning text wrapping (see my video here) but it's an Affinity Publisher feature so you'll need Publisher in order to activate the attribute on objects (although Designer will open and edit the document with wrapping working correctly, obviously). Text flow is yet to be added - but again it's really a Publisher thing... Text along paths will be added to Designer after launch as a free update.

I've never liked a broad 'roughen' effect - it always does the wrong thing in my experience (never quite what I wanted), so I think we might add a roughen tool that you rub over the areas of curve to roughen, and then also a smooth tool that smooths out curve segments that you apply it to: At least this way you have full control. Warping will also be added after launch as a free update, as will Pantone and professional print output.

Thanks for all your kind comments - really glad you're enjoying using Designer! :)

Matt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A smooth tool sounds good. Maybe that is the closest thing next to "Smoothing" for the pencil and brush that I can get. Straighten out those ol' age jitters.  ;)

Gregg

OS X Version 10.14.6 iMac 27" 3.2 GHz i5- 32 GB  Huion Kamvas Pro 20

iPad Pro 12.9" IOS 13

AD = OS IOS, AP = OS IOS

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hey,

We prioritised import of pure illustration work from Freehand for the Designer release over all else - makes sense I think.. Adding fills to vector paths sounds like a bug, so if you could drop an example into the Bugs forum, I'll fix that for you.

We'll tackle FH text import soon - it's the thing I want to do before asking for bug reports for the feature - the FH crowd know what they want and I won't ask them for feedback until I have no outstanding jobs on my own FH import bug list :)

AndyS

Thanks for the updates, sounds like we all expect great things from the program!  Passing the word along to all my FH colleagues.  One issue that I've experienced is in actually opening FH files.  Most of my native files are not saved with suffix, just the file name.  These files will not open unless I add  (.fh11) to each prior to opening.  Due the countless art archives and project files this really slows down the process for me.  Looking for a fix or a suggestion that I may have over looked.

Thanks for the help - looking forward to a great product. 

• Staff

I think I've missed adding an ".fhmx" extension - if you have ".fhmx" you might need to rename to ".fh11". I'll make sure that's in the next build you guys see.

It's difficult for us to add a handler for "no extension" - although I might be able to do something to help here - let me look..

Cheers,

A

• 1 month later...

Hi developers.

First: MANY thanks for this amazing tool! For Freehand lovers its finally bringing back a lot of core features that Adobe never managed to integrate for years.

Regarding possible future features: I would love to see the following two and would be very happy if you could find a way to integrate them.

1. add the freehand-tool cut content (e.g. on alt + cmd + x) . It's basically the opposite of your paste inside command and it makes it so much more comfortable to build complex vector drawings! You can get really fast with it.

2. allow to scale objects that have content inside without scaling the actual content (basically scaling the mask only), ideally accessed by shortcut (hold any key while scaling)

• 2 months later...

Santa Claus does exist though, surely!?! We can prove it too - the Freehand import is working really well at the moment and if you have any files you want me to test it against, then just send them over to support@seriflabs.com and we can make sure it works properly :) We'll obviously treat any files confidentially and they will be deleted after we've validated the import - we could even try to send you a .afdesign version back so you can use that file in Designer right now!

I'm going to work on Expand Stroke in a bit and also being able to use the pasteboard and see the objects on it soon. We already have functioning text wrapping (see my video here) but it's an Affinity Publisher feature so you'll need Publisher in order to activate the attribute on objects (although Designer will open and edit the document with wrapping working correctly, obviously). Text flow is yet to be added - but again it's really a Publisher thing... Text along paths will be added to Designer after launch as a free update.

I've never liked a broad 'roughen' effect - it always does the wrong thing in my experience (never quite what I wanted), so I think we might add a roughen tool that you rub over the areas of curve to roughen, and then also a smooth tool that smooths out curve segments that you apply it to: At least this way you have full control. Warping will also be added after launch as a free update, as will Pantone and professional print output.

Thanks for all your kind comments - really glad you're enjoying using Designer! :)

Matt

As much as I used and liked FreeHand's old roughen tool, I must say the idea of making it targetable to a segment of a line in the manner you describe sounds really good – I'd never thought of such a thing until reading it in your post. How about making that a tool pref, or a mode, depending on the user. The whole line or just part(s) of it, with the user choosing the default?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 10/1/2014 at 4:05 PM, Andy Somerfield said:

We'll tackle FH text import soon - it's the thing I want to do before asking for bug reports for the feature - the FH crowd know what they want and I won't ask them for feedback until I have no outstanding jobs on my own FH import bug list :)

I purchased Affinity Designer for Desktop with the expectation that Freehand text import would happen when Affinity's staff designer said it would: "soon". 

It's been over four years since Mr. Somerfield's assurance, and months since I purchased the product. Freehand MX files still fail to import with text into Affinity Designer for Desktop. This cripples my entire reason for purchasing Designer. 

When can we users expect this feature to be added to Affinity Designer for Desktop?

Please answer this query on behalf of all Affinity Designer users.