You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pixelated (Mosaic) exports

Hello,

I design for print and need tack sharp images. I've been in Illustrator almost 40 years – since 1989 – but loves the new capabilities that AD offers. My issue is that when I export a vector image, it is always pixelated, no matter the export format, persona, ppi settings. When I duplicate the same design in either Illustrator or InDesign, they export crystal clear.

These is simple vector art – but I want to take it one step further, which is why I love Designer. However, I'm finding it unusable because the exports are not suitable for print.

Am I missing a simple step to crisper exports?

Thank you in advance!

Affinity Designer art.png

eps export.png

• Staff

Hi szimm,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The vector objects will be only kept as vectors if you export to a format that supports vectors (PDF, SVG etc). If you are exporting to a raster format like as PNG, TIFF or JPG the whole file will be rasterised (with more of less detail depending on your document dimensions/dpi). In the case you posted above it will be always rasterised because all Layer Effects (FX) in Affinity apps are raster based. They are only displaying sharp inside Affinity because it is rendering them dynamically, adjusting the effect to the zoom level.

Even so this doesn't mean the file isn't suitable for print. It may be a little less sharp than if you have true vector objects but you can still set the document to 300 dpi (or higher) to get a high quality print.

• Staff

Yes. That's expected. As is said in this particular case it will always be rasterised (even when exporting to formats that support vectors) because all layer effects in Affinity Designer/Photo are raster based (not vector). You are using a 3D Layer Effect to create that look on the text (which is a raster based effect) so when exported it remains as a rasterised effect (image). Go to menu File ▸ Document Setup... and set the document's DPI to 300 or higher. The effects will be rasterised using the dpi set for the document.

What about doing 600DPI or even 1200DPI

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

That's kind of shocking to hear... and unfortunate as well. Maybe it's something AD could look into for a future upgrade.

I love AD; it has so many cutting-edge features.... I only wish it was more for print. Guess I'm back to Illustrator for the time being (big sigh)

Thanks so much for your help, MEB, it's very much appreciated.

Hi, szimm,

While I did start using Illustrator about the same date as you, it was only a small part of my job. And, the last time I used it at all was at least 8 years ago. Thus, I'm unfamiliar w. how the 3D effect letters would have been formed in Illustrator. 

I  suppose that if you have been doing a 90+ fold resizing, the forms are re-rasterized at printing time to the printer's resolution. A MEB said, the AD screen image is dynamically rendered, and it would indeed be useful if that info could be passed to an output device as needed.

As mentioned, the AD 3D fx is a raster depiction from the beginning. There is a way in this case to improve the output, tho' it requires more work. As above, change the document resolution so the dpi equals or exceeds the output device's resolution. When rescaling the text, change the fx parameter  "radius" by the same proportion. IE, a radius of 50 px is changed to 100 when the object is scaled 200%. This keeps the FX shading/modeling effect properly scaled.

For single letters, the letter can be duplicated, and the top most vector emptied of any fill. That can be down sized just a bit, maybe .995%. After nesting the layer that will be rasterized into that, the smaller vector outline will clip away the antialiased raster fx at the edges.

As far as I can tell, the .pdf export routine compresses the raster render, and makes artifacts, no matter what the resolution. Myself, I don't know how to change the compression parameters.

One can export as .tif and have no artifacts, but the file will be on an order of magnitude larger. 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

12 hours ago, gdenby said:

For single letters, the letter can be duplicated, and the top most vector emptied of any fill. That can be down sized just a bit, maybe .995%. After nesting the layer that will be rasterized into that, the smaller vector outline will clip away the antialiased raster fx at the edges.

You can also do Paste inside to get same effect (bitmap content within vector outline).