You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello everybody.

I have a question.

I made a illustration and I apply a stroke effect on it (with fx, not a direct stroke).

For the laser cutting I have to make a 2pt stoke all around the illustration.

Can I vectorise the effect to apply a stroke on it (the red on in the picture) ?

If not, what is the workflow ?

Thanks in advance.

Capture d’écran 2018-05-11 à 10.03.03.png

• Staff

Hi fantomac,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

All layers effects (FX) are raster based. There's no way to vectorise them. To do this you will need to to create a single shape from the sum of all shapes that define the boundary of the illustration, duplicating these shapes then using the Add boolean operation (menu Layer ▸ Geometry ▸ Add) to "join" them into a single shape.

If you are using Designer, you may be able to use Expand Stroke to create the laser cutter path. Expand Path can be a great tool although it depends on the design. You may have to combine paths to get one single shape first. As MEB describes.

I created the shape, added a 2 point stroke to the outside and then expanded that path. I could then Divide that and use the outer part for the cutter line.

expand.jpg.f2cb7d597e552f115a865c2d6ae9aaa7.jpg

After dividing it. Layer > Geometry > Divide

laser.jpg.dbff5e776a7d31869ce0aca9e5b9fcfc.jpg

That would give a laser cutting line two points from the outside edge of the illustration.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Thanks for your reply. 

I made a  single shape & add a stroke. Then  vectorise it and finaly add another stroke for laser cutting. 

It was my first Workflow when I started the  drawing but I stopped it and used the fx stroke on the whole illustration because result was better. With first method I got unespected results. 

I don't know Expand Stroke tools, where can I find it ?

Edit : ok I knew but in French the translation is vectorise stroke...

Is there  a chance that designer use vectors fx ? I have  to rasterize my illustrations at 1/1 size before sending to print but the size of the file is very important for pictures higher than 1m witch is common in my activity. 

Have à nice day.