You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm using Affinity Designer. Besides using a textured stroke or manually adjusting curves/nodes, is there another way to distort the edge of a shape?

Pic below is similar to what I'd like to accomplish. I could possibly create a textured stroke to mimic this, but are there other ways or anything automatic? Thanks again!

edgedistort.jpg

Some shapes, like the Double Star shape and the Cog shape can make shapes with (uniformed) distorted edges if you play with the settings

edges.jpg

edges.afdesign

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

There is no distort filter or feature in AD.

You could also use brushes to stroke the edge with irregular shapes , even create your own brushes. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Or Run a brush around the edge of a shape and merge them.

Irrelgular shaped edges in Affinity.mov

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Here is another method that may work, tho' I've not tried using it enough that I'm entirely happy w. the results.

This is for irregular shapes, as well as regular ones. Select an item that has only a fill. Duplicate it a couple of times. To each duplicate, add a dotted stroke, using different point sizes, intervals, phases, etc. Expand the stroke on each, and add the expanded stroke back into the parent shape. Add the parents together. Continue as you like till the edge is as irregular as you might need. At that point, one might select all nodes, and convert them into smooth, and perhaps run the smoothing routine on those.

DeckledEdges.thumb.jpg.68f23f0c03a8fdbfcfec277ced0400aa.jpg

Alternatively, instead of smoothing smoothing, just add a bit of blur.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• Staff

Have a look here :)

On 16/04/2018 at 1:31 PM, carl123 said:

Use the following settings in the Equations Filter

The last number (0.005) controls the strength of the Ripples, you only need very small changes

You could easily create a macro for this and change the 0.005 into variable "A" to give controllable (via a slider) ripple effects for different sized documents

ripples.jpg

1 hour ago, GabrielM said:

Have a look here :)

I never liked the finish with that post, looks like you are looking through mildly small dimpled glass. A much better finish can be had with sketchup, especially considering it lends itself to those kind of drawings. Sketchup can import most types of file.

5af5b328b3130_ScreenShot2018-05-11at16_13_01.png.4ff6a61f725116fadf8268296ff051dc.png 5af5b2db886ae_ScreenShot2018-05-11at16_10_37.png.491286f07b7f0dc848b61d1301511705.png

29 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Sketchup can import most types of file.

Unless something has changed since I last checked about a year ago, only the pricey ($700) 'pro' version of SketchUp supports importing anything other than as a raster image. That may be OK for some things but not for a project that needs to remain in vector format.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7