Alex_M

HELP! "Save failed because the file could not be written to."

Hi,

I was working on a document in Affinity Photo and when I tried to save the file the following error appeared (see attached). Why did this error appear and how do I save my file now? It would be a major pain in the *ss to start all over again with this document if I close Photo. All my disks have plenty of space (hundreds of GB) and I can freely copy/paste files to any location. I'm not able to save the .aphoto document even on the desktop. The strange thing is, I can save to JPG fine, it's only when I save to .aphoto that I get this error.

What now?

photo_save_failed.jpg

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 for Windows Windows 10 x64 1803  CPU AMD Threadripper 1950X @3.9 Ghz  RAM 32 GB GPU GTX 1080 ti 11GB NVMe SSD Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB

There are a few posts about that. They may help

search for "file could not be written to"

here is one

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Thanks, I checked them all but none of the threads provided any solution. Do you know what should I do to successfully save the document? I still have it open.

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 for Windows Windows 10 x64 1803  CPU AMD Threadripper 1950X @3.9 Ghz  RAM 32 GB GPU GTX 1080 ti 11GB NVMe SSD Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB

@Alex_M Create a new Document with the same document specs ie. size dpi etc, Copy and Paste off of the layer into the new document and save the New Document to Documents or Pictures, Then close the new document down and try opening it back up, it that works and all the layers and your work is intact I think it would be safe to close the old document down.

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Live 19th June 2019

Thanks @firstdefence, I will try this next time it happens again.

I've opened the file from a mapped network drive. That is, an HDD on another PC on the network.

It just happened again! I tried what @firstdefence suggested but it didn't help. What's going on? This causes me to lose work. :(

This is a well reported problem when working on non local drives and until it is fixed the ONLY safe solution is to work on the file on HDDs local to your PC/Mac then do a final save as to were you want it stored.

Due to the ongoing Brexit negotiations, punctuation, spelling and grammar will be used sparingly until further notice.

Save failed... again! I tried saving everywhere - my documents, my SSD, my HDD, desktop... nothing worked. I had to close the document and lose my work. :3_grin: