You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I’m designing a University Style Logo in Affinity Designer, and am using the font you can see in the photos. I’m using a white fill, black stroke and white fx outline. I’m trying to make it so that the black stroke is essentially 100% transparent, so that the stroke takes the colour of the fabric it is printed on.

I’ve scoured the internet for how to do this but found no answers. I’ve tried converting to curves and subtracting the black stroke from the white letter behind and nothing. Any help would be tremendous. Thank you.

Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 11.36.33.png

You could change the layers blend mode to Screen that will make black transparent.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, IncognitoMode said:

I’m designing a University Style Logo in Affinity Designer, and am using the font you can see in the photos. I’m using a white fill, black stroke and white fx outline. I’m trying to make it so that the black stroke is essentially 100% transparent, so that the stroke takes the colour of the fabric it is printed on.

I’ve scoured the internet for how to do this but found no answers. I’ve tried converting to curves and subtracting the black stroke from the white letter behind and nothing. Any help would be tremendous. Thank you.

You could do things like this as an Outline in Layer Effects. No need to alter the text outline or do anything at all with the text. You can use any colours you like on any colour text you like, etc.

single.jpg.3fb0ecf41e49512c23d626e2d187cb75.jpg

singled.jpg.bd1f5b79ce0cb6b85ed0396e9d213061.jpg

This has a slight gradient but it can be removed.

You can also do it as a double step

outlined.jpg.ce949c54b61d89852e5665b2bb80314b.jpg

outline.jpg.978c94dc00dd26395858fdb39bd29225.jpg

Set Fill Style to Contour

Click on the Gradient swatch  and Insert a new Mid Point.

Set the Mid Point Opacity to 0% to make the inner bit transparent.

You can play around with transition handles or add new points to control how the outline transitions for some cool and interesting gradient effects or just a hard step.

Once done, you can right click on it, Create a Style and it will then be in the Styles panel ("No fill", below.)

styles.jpg.9ba755e2dbd6d3d96301116a6b3c5461.jpg

That makes it incredibly to add to any text you need or reuse at any time.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

16 minutes ago, toltec said:

That makes it incredibly to add to any text you need or reuse at any time.

Hi! Wow! Thanks so much for your reply. I've tried to replicate what you advised me, but I kept ending up with gradients. Could you perhaps let me know the exact setting to achieve a solid transparent layer between the white parts? Also, is there an easier way to do this. I initially made 2 version of my text. One with the fill and outline, and one with just the stroke. I converted them to curves and tried to subtract one from the other, but had no luck :(

After clicking on the Gradient swatch, I just clicked on Insert to add a new control point.

grad1.jpg.cc0cbda30cd48e8306a77caf874e4a0a.jpg

Click on the new middle handle (Mid point) and set the opacity to zero.

point.jpg.5616837ae9e3719bada29ef1ce9f81ca.jpg

Drag the Transition handles to control where the blends change.

handles.jpg.82e1906f0bb279989cc46f419dc2afde.jpg

11 minutes ago, IncognitoMode said:

Hi! Wow! Thanks so much for your reply. I've tried to replicate what you advised me, but I kept ending up with gradients. Could you perhaps let me know the exact setting to achieve a solid transparent layer between the white parts? Also, is there an easier way to do this. I initially made 2 version of my text. One with the fill and outline, and one with just the stroke. I converted them to curves and tried to subtract one from the other, but had no luck :(

I've done a video for you and I'm just uploading it to my Youtube Channel, I'll post it here in a short while, It will show you how to get what you want in fairly easy steps, well I hope I've explained it OK.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

6 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I've done a video for you and I'm just uploading it to my Youtube Channel, I'll post it here in a short while, It will show you how to get what you want in fairly easy steps, well I hope I've explained it OK.

That would be fantastic, as I'm having no luck with the outline method unfortunately.

17 minutes ago, IncognitoMode said:

I initially made 2 version of my text. One with the fill and outline, and one with just the stroke. I converted them to curves and tried to subtract one from the other, but had no luck :(

You don't need to do anything with text.

The text I used is standard. I did it all with a layer effect.

I have included the .afphoto file for you to see, with the two types saved as styles.

just click on the layer effects and play :)

sytles.afphoto

Youtube is being a bit temperamental at the mo so I'll drop it here for now and change the link later. Its a 90Mb file but worth downloading. 

Youtube started being nice again see video in the post below

2 minutes ago, toltec said:

You don't need to do anything with text.

The text I used is standard. I did it all with a layer effect.

I have included the .afphoto file for you to see, with the two types saved as styles.

just click on the layer effects and play :)

sytles.afphoto

Thanks so so much. Could you possibly send one where there is 0 gradient? I need the transparent stroke to have a hard border.

20 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Youtube is being a bit temperamental at the mo so I'll drop it here for now and change the link later. Its a 90Mb file but worth downloading. 

Knock Out the Black Stroke 2.mov

Magic! Thank you so so much. And thanks for saying my Screen Name is cool! I'm actually a Designer on RedBubble, and that's my Store Name there. Thanks so much again!

1 hour ago, IncognitoMode said:

Thanks so so much. Could you possibly send one where there is 0 gradient? I need the transparent stroke to have a hard border.

For some reason, it refuses to remove all the gradient on the Outside edge edge, no matter where I put the transition handle. Not sure if that is a bug or a "design parameter" thing. I'm pretty sure I did it once but that might have been due to the colours I used.

However, if you want it simple, and hard, there is a much easier way to achieve it in Designer.

I did this in white on an orangey background to make it easier to see.

Duplicate the letter and convert the duplicate to curves. 

Hide the bottom text layer for now

On the duplicate, set a thickish stroke and go Layer > Expand stroke.

exp.jpg.98a7a01954afb9f778e923570719e8d9.jpg

Set the fill to transparent and the stroke to what you want, colour or thickness.

set0.jpg.bfb303758e5986c64638cd5c2f8915ad.jpg

This is what you get

outline.jpg.a9c2b8320ac9ffe29288c4d4cff67453.jpg

Show the bottom text layer to fill it

done.jpg.94080e498dfe922c208e3b1c74995a7b.jpg

I have uploaded that file for you.

Use either method described by me or by firstdefence

Choice is always good :)

expanded.afdesign