You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to create a vector woodcut portrait

Experimenting with creating vector woodcut portraits, which is a bit of a nuisance. Many things to consider when constructing such drawings. Still a tad confusing at this point. After four trials and errors I arrived at this level of design complexity. I used my vector portrait of Abe Lincoln as the image for this test. I believe the trick is to find the right way to set up the masking strokes after which basically any image can be used to build a woodcut portrait.

5af4d3b6d632a_WoodcuttestALportrait4-with54Addfilter-LockChildren.thumb.png.4a8a86b3fc9febaae714f4bed2c6d0d6.png

Working method:

1. Create a sine line

2. Duplicate it until entire page is covered

3. Select all lines and ‘Expand Stroke’

4. Combine all expanded strokes – after which they will show as a single ‘Curve’ in the Layers panel

5. Duplicate a number times of your choice

6. Rotate each of them to different angles, making sure they cover entire page – you have to enlarge them until they do

7. Import an image

8. Duplicate it to the same number of combined strokes / Curves that you duplicated in step 5

9. Apply a different ‘Treshold’ level to the original image and duplicates

10. Rasterize all images

11. Drag each image inside a curve so that the Curve serves as a mask

12. Make sure none of the Curves has a fill or stroke width assigned

Remarks:

• The combined strokes shown as Curves will show up over the images. Hit the Magnifier Zoom tool to see the result without the Curves overlaying them

• Each Curve containing the rasterized image can be manipulated in several ways – opacity, type of filter

I attached the Affinity Designer file to study for those interested.

Woodcut test AL portrait 3a.afdesign

Home: https://vectorwhiz.com  : : : :  Portfolio blog: https://communicats.blogspot.com