You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My take on chapter 5 of the workbook

stokerg

• Staff

Thought i'd share my take on chapter 5 from the workbook, Snow Queen.  

Model photo is the stock image provided in the chapter.  Graffiti photo is my own, not sure who sprayed it (local skate park and fully allowed area) but it seems to wrap around the model really well and there is a crack/chip in the surface of the wall which lines up with the hair line of the model so well.  I did this version on my iMac but have also repeated the same process on the iPad version of Photo. I did try a full black and white version, but didn't think it suited the image.

Attached for those who are interested is very low res version of the graffiti shot used, If anyone wants the full res version to play around with just ask and i'll upload it.

Finished graff fill RAW.jpg

IMG_1624.jpg

• 1 year later...

Workbook Snow Queen - I’m attaching screen capture, reference image portrait-1754894.jpg; however, reference image is stated png file.

Question:  Is this a misprint?

The referenced png file is not available for download. The instruction requires selecting the Selection Brush, drag over girl and output to Mask, which removes background and renders same results as png, unless I’m missing a key point or have the wrong URL to download the png file.

Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 9.56.09 AM.png

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

It looks like PixaBay is providing a JPG image rather than a PNG. Possibly the instruction in the workbook is wrong, or possibly PixaBay changed the format they're delivering. I don't think it should matter for following the directions in that workbook project.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I agree, as a mask is in the instructions.  It may matter for many, as I originally thought, 1) I selected the wrong file or 2) must have account to download correct file or 3) typed wrong URL as another user recently posted, same chapter, looking for the files. If Work Book is still in production mode or as many have posted similar problems with URL’s/files, provide all future files in one ZIP file, PixaBay may not be common knowledge to all or available in the future.  May not be possible, feasible or even technically legal to do so.  Thank you for reply.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection