You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

As a relative newcomer to AP, I'm struggling with the need for the Develop Persona for my RAW images.

It seems you get less tools in Develop Persona than are available in Photo Persona so why not just go straight to the Photo Persona and make all your adjustments there?

I am finding that, when I open a RAW image and it opens in Develop Persona, I immediate press the 'Develop' button and make all my adjustments in the Photo Persona.

Can someone point me to a definitive guide to using the Develop persona and what its purpose is? (idiots guide please!)

Many thanks, F

• Staff

Hi @FrankL0,

I have moved your post to our Questions section.

Develop persona has dedicated tools adjusting the initial parameters of a photo(exposure, shadows, highlights, lens corrections, etc), without having to create layers or additional copies of the image. Have a look here:

RAW Development

Thanks,

Gabe

Hi FrankL0

Develop is useful for more than just RAW files. One thing I find very useful in Develop is the fact it is more tuned to basic image corrections which makes dealing with lots of photos more productive. RAW or otherwise.

If you use Presets in the Basic panel, you can set things like, exposure, brightness, contrast, white balance etc. You can then save all those settings as a single Preset (or different setting as a different Preset). Load twenty or 100 photos and a single click will apply the same adjustment settings to each photo. To do that in Photo Persona would end up with lots of layers and would need lots of clicks, or a very complex Macro. There are just too many adjustments and filters in Photo to make that feasible. That is a great way of dealing with batches of photos taken in the same conditions.

basic.thumb.jpg.9b591854a260759a2b795ec1479a25ad.jpg

The Lens panel is also very good for precise rotation or distortion correction. Again with Presets although probably less useful in Lens.

lens.jpg.ed6151f15aae3d4a3257af6cb4feca8b.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

@toltec

on your screenshot white balance temperature value in % instead k, are there any way to change these value?

i mean i like my wb temp in kelvin but  i want to be able change transform value from px to %.

7 hours ago, el.gato said:

@toltec

on your screenshot white balance temperature value in % instead k, are there any way to change these value?

i mean i like my wb temp in kelvin but  i want to be able change transform value from px to %.

You can type percentages (or expressions including percentages) in the Transform panel, but I don’t see a way to express the WB temperature in kelvins.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, el.gato said:

@Alfred

thank you so much, it's much easy for me to scale using %.

You're very welcome, @el.gato. :)

1 hour ago, el.gato said:

as for white balance my ap already in kelvin, so i don't need to change.

I wonder whether this is an OS difference. I see white balance temperature as a percentage here, just like in @toltec's screenshot; both  of us are on Windows.

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

I wonder whether this is an OS difference. I see white balance temperature as a percentage here, just like in @toltec's screenshot; both  of us are on Windows.

On my Mac, I see kelvin for 'undeveloped' RAW images that can only be opened in Affinity Photo's Develop Persona but % for anything that will open into the Photo Persona after switching to the Develop Persona (including developed RAW files).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

28 minutes ago, R C-R said:

On my Mac, I see kelvin for 'undeveloped' RAW images that can only be opened in Affinity Photo's Develop Persona but % for anything that will open into the Photo Persona after switching to the Develop Persona (including developed RAW files).

Ah, yes! Thanks for that. I see exactly the same thing here.

Alfred spacer.png