You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I recently started using Affinity Photo and found I could not preview the RAW files from my Lumix GX8 camera prior to import.

Is there a way I can do this?

Thank you for any assistance.

• Staff

Hi APM,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I assume you are using/running Windows. RAW file previews on Windows depend on the codecs installed on the OS which normally come from software provided by the manufacturer of the camera or provided by Microsoft (Windows 7 only) or any third-party codec bundle like FastPictureViewer Codec Pack.

Thank you for the rapid responses.

Yes, I'm using Windows - Windows 8.1.

I cannot preview RW2 files from inside Affinity Photo, that said I can process the RW2 files.

I have no problem when using previously using Adobe Lightroom 6.14.

I also don't have any problems previewing RW2 files in either Faststone or Honeyview.

How does the suggested FastPictureViewer Codec Pack. assist me viewing the previews from within Affinity Photo?

Thank you for any assistance.

I'm sorry if I have not be clear as to when the problem occurs.

The problem occurs when I try to import a RAW File prior to doing any processing.

All I get is a blank square - No error message, just the name of the RAW File.

To identify which ones I want to import, I have to go to Honeyview or Faststone which is a pain.

• Staff

Hi APM,

Do you mind attaching a screen capture of what you see when you open the file in Affinity Photo?

I'm assuming you are going to menu File ▸ Open, select the RAW file and it opens as a black or blank image in Develop Persona but would like to confirm this.

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 is a supported camera. The .rw2 files should open correctly in Affinity Photo (Develop Persona). It would also help if you could upload one of these .rw2 files you can't see in Affinity Photo using this link so we can take a look at it. Thanks.

I have attached the Affinity Import View versus Lightroom to show what I am talking about.

Once imported the file opens correctly.

As you noted originally, this maybe down to Codecs installed, if it is why can I see a preview in Lightroom and not Affinity?

Affinity.png

Lightroom.png

You are in List view, click the drop down arrow and select one of the icon views

What do you see now?

listview.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Can you upload one of your Raw files so I can check what I see on my Windows PC?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Hi APM,

Thanks for the screen captures and additional info. That's because you have no codec installed on Windows. The Open dialog we display is provided by the OS itself thus it's not able to display the thumbnails either. Lightroom is probably using its own internal resources to display/load the thumbnails and not relying on the OS. If you buy and install the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack you will be able to see the thumbnails on Windows Explorer (and inside the Open dialog in Affinity) for that and almost all RAW cameras formats and image formats available.