livetheshot

Affinity Photo - Refine Mask - Fuzzy edges

Hi,

When I refine a mask selection, the edges get fuzzy on the default settings. The settings are:

Matte Edges - Checked

Border Width - 10%

Smoothing - 0

Feather - 0

Ramp - 0%

I've attached a screenshot to show this. The noise occurs both inside AND outside the selection. I don't mind it occuring outside as I can deal with that, however it's inside the selection that's a constant frustration.

This happens regardless of the matte I use. All the demos that I've seen have had worse background contrasts, yet the edges come out clean when the Refine tool is used.

I'm also using OpenGL for my display.

My current version is Affinity 1.6.7.

Thanks.

fuzzy-edges.jpg

Hey livetheshot,

I can see why there might be a fuzzy edge where there's a shadow but it's a little unexpected across the other side of the object. The contrast between the object and the light background isn't that strong, even though it's pretty clear.

Can you provide the original image?

Hi Chris,

I tossed the original file as I couldn't get it working. Here's another file with the original photo and with the initial selection made.

I've created a spare channel to make it easier to load the selection. If you click Refine, you'll see all of the edges end up being fuzzy even on the other side where the light provided more contrast between the dress and the background.

Would love to get to the bottom of this as the examples Affinity have posted have had worse contrast and the edges weren't muddied like this.

Thanks.

dress.afphoto

Thanks for the file.

I think the issue is the contrast between the white background and the light pink tones. I think this would be easier if the background was black or a dark shade of something else.

With Snap to edges enabled, there's so much bleed as I drag along the edges. For this type of object I would recommend doing the outline with the Pen Tool and once you've connected the start and end nodes, click Selection on the context toolbar to make an active selection which you can then refine but, I think this would remove the need to refine anything at all.

If you are refining to make the edges softer, I'd uncheck Matte Edges but apply a small amount of Smooth and Feather. I've tried this with some of my own images and the ones in the tutorials and I'm not seeing this as bad on those.

Saying that I still think it could be improved on our side.

Thanks for the quick reply Chris!

If you load the Spare Channel as a selection, you'll see that I created a pretty close selection using the Quick Select tool. When I use Refine and enable Matte edges, it ends up blurring the edges regardless of the amount of contrast.

Were there any changes to the Matte edges functions between later versions of 1.4 and 1.6? I never had this prior to 1.6.