You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm completely new to using Affinity Designer or making logos, so please correct me if I'm using incorrect terminology.

I noticed that a lot of company branding resources show how their branding involves variables and math. For example, Twitter and Product Hunt.

How do you make designs that use variables and math? For example, making a triangle with A, B, and C degrees or drawing a line from the midpoint of another line. I am coming from Fusion 360 which is very manufacturing oriented (and has very little overlap with AD), so precise angles and lengths are very easy to specify, but AD seems to be a lot more freehand oriented.

• Staff

Hi @MiLeung,

Welcome to the forums. 

You can have precise guidings, but you're "limited" to just the object itself and the canvas. Let's say, you cannot move an object Y/20 on Y axis of another object. You can, however, move it y/20 in relation to its current position. As for the guides, you can use other objects as guides, with centre guides and align guides. Have a look here - 12. Design Aids

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Hi, MiLeung,

Company branding resources are typically highly structured for legal reasons. It is not just a matter of good design. It is so no one can infringe on the brand identity by using a slightly different color or font, among other things.

As far as using AD, there are many tools which can facilitate making exact structures. For starters, check out the grid manager, snapping options, and the transform dialogue, particularly the ability to use mathematical expressions to size objects. Then move on to constraints to keep graphic elements in defined arrangements.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet