Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

I am still a novice at graphic design and I hope I'm not asking for too much with this question.

 

I would like to take this image (and others I have created) and make them editable in AD or AP. I'm asking for best ways to convert the file, and what to convert it too, so I can change the colors of the lines, make the background transparent, etc.

 

Hugely complicated - I know. But it can't hurt to ask, can it?

 

I'm also experimenting on how to actually make these kinds of designs in AD, with some luck, but not much. 

 

Your help is greatly appreciated.

 

Bill

 

 

fullsizeoutput_4da.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4d1.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Bill, what format are the files in at the moment?

 

With the lines being so fine it would be hard to remove the background and it still be neat.


iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-12, - iPad2 iOS 9.35 B|  Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Designer (ADe) Tutorials - Affinity Photo (APh) Tutorials - Public Domain Images

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BHIP said:

I'm also experimenting on how to actually make these kinds of designs in AD, with some luck, but not much. 

Have you tried offsetting the rotation center of a curve & power duplicating it around that center? A crude example of this is shown below & in the attached power duplicate example.afdesign file:

5af21c1d4d8d6_powerdupoffsetcenter.png.28e36f447ce7bd94905ee7ee87c1ff47.png

The curve shown selected (red & with a thick stroke so it stands out in the screenshot) has its rotation center moved to the location shown by the target symbol. Duplicating it once & immediately rotating it by 5° produced the curve just to its left. Then using power duplicate (CMD + J on a Mac or Duplicate from the Edit menu) 70 times creates the remaining 70 curves.

 

By using a more complex curve to begin with and/or grouping, duplicating & flipping the duplicate group, you should be able to create designs more like your examples.


Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Hi Bill, what format are the files in at the moment?

 

With the lines being so fine it would be hard to remove the background and it still be neat.

 Hi firstdefence they are currently in png format. 

 

I got this app that makes these things and the only option, right now is to save the picture. I'm working with the developer to have it save as pdf as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Have you tried offsetting the rotation center of a curve & power duplicating it around that center? A crude example of this is shown below & in the attached power duplicate example.afdesign file:

5af21c1d4d8d6_powerdupoffsetcenter.png.28e36f447ce7bd94905ee7ee87c1ff47.png

The curve shown selected (red & with a thick stroke so it stands out in the screenshot) has its rotation center moved to the location shown by the target symbol. Duplicating it once & immediately rotating it by 5° produced the curve just to its left. Then using power duplicate (CMD + J on a Mac or Duplicate from the Edit menu) 70 times creates the remaining 70 curves.

 

By using a more complex curve to begin with and/or grouping, duplicating & flipping the duplicate group, you should be able to create designs more like your examples.

 Thanks R C-R I have been experimenting but you have given me a way to make this easier.

 

I really appreciate the help.

 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, firstdefence said:

With the lines being so fine it would be hard to remove the background and it still be neat.

Filters->Erase White Paper does a pretty good job, though not perfect.

But it would be better if the tool that created them could do so with a transparent background originally. And, ideally, it would allow specification of the color, too.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.243 Beta
Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.243 Beta
Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.238 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The type of pattern you want to produce reminds me of guilloche patterns, albeit in a simplified form, these were used on banknotes as a form of security and not just a pretty pattern.

 

There is a very competent app called Excentro that is designed to produce guilloche patterns similar to the ones you want to make. It makes use of sine functions among other equations.

 

I wondered if Affinity with its equations feature could emulate it, albeit in a simpler form.

 

Excentro can produce guilloche like this:

5af29b4a93fdc_ScreenShot2018-05-09at07_49_06.png.e484e620bb638c4702e382fa243ecffd.png

 

 Excentro do a Lite version for about $25.00, the full blown app is $500 O.o


iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-12, - iPad2 iOS 9.35 B|  Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Designer (ADe) Tutorials - Affinity Photo (APh) Tutorials - Public Domain Images

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

another way to do this, using symbols and power duplicate:

spiral2.thumb.png.89451d480910c89806c08c9968b7d188.pngspiral4.thumb.png.82a914eb957f07e61cc3aee5b1c49eef.png

spiraltest.afdesign

Like the Orange one.

 

Amazing how two ellipses and a line can create such a nice pattern.


iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-12, - iPad2 iOS 9.35 B|  Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Designer (ADe) Tutorials - Affinity Photo (APh) Tutorials - Public Domain Images

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Filters->Erase White Paper does a pretty good job, though not perfect.

But it would be better if the tool that created them could do so with a transparent background originally. And, ideally, it would allow specification of the color, too.

 

6 hours ago, firstdefence said:

The type of pattern you want to produce reminds me of guilloche patterns, albeit in a simplified form, these were used on banknotes as a form of security and not just a pretty pattern.

 

There is a very competent app called Excentro that is designed to produce guilloche patterns similar to the ones you want to make. It makes use of sine functions among other equations.

 

I wondered if Affinity with its equations feature could emulate it, albeit in a simpler form.

 

Excentro can produce guilloche like this:

5af29b4a93fdc_ScreenShot2018-05-09at07_49_06.png.e484e620bb638c4702e382fa243ecffd.png

 

 Excentro do a Lite version for about $25.00, the full blown app is $500 O.o

This is beautiful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dutchshader said:

another way to do this, using symbols and power duplicate:

spiral2.thumb.png.89451d480910c89806c08c9968b7d188.pngspiral4.thumb.png.82a914eb957f07e61cc3aee5b1c49eef.png

spiraltest.afdesign

Wow! These would be examples of my goals. Thanks for the inspiration.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, using power duplicate and symbols. These started w. 1 curved line, with pressure change stroke size, and color gradient. Made quickly, 4 samples in of 8 made in 8 minutes.

OpTickle-01.jpg.f7c240ba33248bd9d9896731db3f4cc9.jpgOpTickle-02.jpg.3a2a25652a209d8dab2eb8e615029cbd.jpgOpTickle-03.jpg.25d0b992ec6475af23525fa52970b8cf.jpgOpTickle-04.jpg.6195a28054d326a2678768186bd01a92.jpg


iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those who don't know, it is maybe worth mentioning that it is possible to use the rotation center instead of one of the 9 anchor points as a reference for the "R" rotation field in the Transform panel -- as long as "Show Rotation Center" is active, it will automatically use it in the panel. Using that, you can enter any angle you want for the first duplicate directly in that field without having to drag the rotation handle on the canvas.

 

But what makes this really useful is the "R" field accepts expressions, so for example you can enter "360/n" where n is the number of 'petals' or 'lobes' you want in the design, & power duplicating from there will rotate the duplicates by that increment precisely, even if it is an angle you can't enter precisely as a number, like 360/7 or 360/21.

 

Combine that with symbols and/or with some of the shapes & the possibilities are almost endless. :)


Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That patterning looks very much like Flame Painter


iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-12, - iPad2 iOS 9.35 B|  Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Designer (ADe) Tutorials - Affinity Photo (APh) Tutorials - Public Domain Images

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wosven said:

But it's done with adding sub-pathes: fake3Dmesh.mp4

Nice video showing how to create this effect.

 

 


iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-12, - iPad2 iOS 9.35 B|  Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Designer (ADe) Tutorials - Affinity Photo (APh) Tutorials - Public Domain Images

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is, the AD-missing blend tool... also there seems to be no way to do gradient to a path(s), (unless it is a raster effect, which turns all vector to bitmap in export).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or with the free Guilloché Pattern Generator as mentioned in this post by Armadillo. Create your Guilloché Pattern, right click and save as a PDF file. Open in AD as a vector file so you can change colours and any elements of the design.


Affinity Photo 1.6.7, Affinity Designer 1.6.1, Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.145 Beta

MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Mojave 10.14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×