You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sometimes I get so frustrated just trying to find what I've saved.  I know how to save it in various formats, but it's always and issue for me when I need to find it.  Especially when I'm on a mission and time is not on my side!!!  Can someone please tell me why I see this window when I'm trying to find an image to print, or send to the printer.  Thank you!!!  I can't click on anything to insert it anywhere!!!  WHY???  I've looked in my photos, in my folder where I save this info and can see it all there, I just can't get it!  Thanks again!  It's about to DRIVE ME CRAZY!!!  It just shouldn't be this difficult!!!  

Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 3.34.32 PM.png

Edited by popncorn
Crazy

I know this is TOO SIMPLE for words, but can one of your genius's PLEASE ANSWER!!!  THANK YOU!!!  I've saved it properly...to downloads, to desktop, to photos, everywhere  and I've exported it properly and I just can't retrieve it!!!

Hi Popncorn, We need to see this in more context, maybe a better screenshot.

Also, what are trying to print from?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

5af1fcfe0e30c_ScreenShot2018-05-08at3_34_32PM.png.f82b788556d901f618f4ce3a3bfaca24.pngThat's the problem, you see what I see!  It's blurred when I try to retrieve it from anywhere!  I'm just trying to insert the image into a Avery Label form so I can have it printed on the labels.  They just aren't clickable from anywhere I've saved it.  I saved, exported to PDF and NOTHING.  So frustrating.  

daddy.pdf

1 hour ago, popncorn said:

That's the problem, you see what I see!

No, we only see your screenshot but not the context you see it in when you are at your computer. So we have no idea what OS (Mac or Windows) you are using or what you are using to view these files with (the Mac Finder, Windows Explorer, something else?).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

18 minutes ago, R C-R said:

That's the problem, you see what I see!

No, we only see your screenshot but not the context you see it in when you are at your computer. So we have no idea what OS (Mac or Windows) you are using or what you are using to view these files with (the Mac Finder, Windows Explorer, something else?).

The OP has a MacBook (and an iPad). detective.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

10 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The OP has a MacBook (and an iPad). detective.gif

That helps, but even assuming this is a Finder window view, we still don't know the context of that view. It could be some 'real' folder or the results of some 'smart folder' (which is really a search that could be using any combination of search criteria to gather files from many different folders into one pseudo-folder).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

That helps, but even assuming this is a Finder window view, we still don't know the context of that view. It could be some 'real' folder or the results of some 'smart folder' (which is really a search that could be using any combination of search criteria to gather files from many different folders into one pseudo-folder).

Thanks for the insight! B|

Alfred spacer.png

Oh so sorry!  I'm using a MACBOOK PRO!  Either way, when I browse for any file saved after designing in Affinity, the image is not  clickable, or available.  From my desktop, documents folder, downloads, pictures, etc.  And now that I've taken a closer look, it's only the Affinity pictures that I can't seem to open.  

IMG_8338.JPG

Oh so sorry!  I'm using a MACBOOK PRO!  Either way, when I browse for any file saved after designing in Affinity, the image is not  clickable, or available.  From my desktop, documents folder, downloads, pictures, etc.  And now that I've taken a closer look, it's only the Affinity pictures that I can't seem to open. 

If you're looking at .afphoto or .afdesign files, then yes, only Affinity can open them. For other applications to use them you'd want to export them as .png or .jpg or .tif files.

The next question, I think, is what application are you using to place the images into your labels?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Sorry for the delay in responding!  I had to stop and make 1800 boxes of popcorn.  It's when I need my graphics to work, that without fail...I have a problem!  So I have saved/exported this image in the Affinity program in every format (jpeg, png, pdf...etc.)  Most important the PDF format for printing at Staples (my local printer).  When I tried to pull it up just to print it, I couldn't.  it was/is un-clickable!   I know that's not the proper lingo, but you hope you understand what I was trying to do.  I should not have mattered what application, if it's saved/exported in every format! I was trying to use it in the Avery Labels program to print labels. It simply was not available to me as you saw in the picture.  I still don't understand why!

I know nothing about the Avery Labels program on a Mac, but I would be very surprised if it could open a PDF file. On Windows it supports only jpg, png, and bmp.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@popncorn The pdf I have just downloaded is fine as far as my system is concerned, I can open it to print and I can open it in Affinity Designer, see image below.

A few questions...

1. Where are you saving these files to?
  2. Are you using the Avery Online software, Desktop version, or using a template in another piece of software?

I've just created an Avery account, Using the online Avery software I can upload and load the PDF file, (see the files supported by the online option in the screenshot below), I am also installing the desktop version to check that this is also capable.

5af7d7c474a1a_ScreenShot2018-05-13at07_12_17.png.0861c8a9c940859128a105951f91a09f.png

5af7db578d6a5_ScreenShot2018-05-13at07_29_22.thumb.png.3a49d3adac2eee814e7e7b439db0ed25.png

The Desktop Version, is limited in acceptable files as @walt.farrell has said and will show your PDF files as faded icons because the desktop version does not support PDF. I think this is just a sneaky move on Avery's part to get you to use the Online version.

5af7da6ac8e14_ScreenShot2018-05-13at07_24_18.png.cdefb8ffca27e388f8a13c1654404a92.png

5af7e6e0c2c6c_ScreenShot2018-05-13at08_16_34.png.fe3d3b087629aaa3503eefa19ccbe7a4.png

So, I would conclude you are using the Desktop version that doesn't support PDF's, try logging into your Avery Account and use the online software I have a feeling it will work.

5af7dfc95f169_ScreenShot2018-05-13at07_45_17.png.53866d1595f8281fe94e410180ba5176.png

5af7e01c7d295_ScreenShot2018-05-13at07_49_00.png.4ef8f45d03b1ba9cc5ef051f172a89db.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

11 hours ago, popncorn said:

Sorry for the delay in responding!  I had to stop and make 1800 boxes of popcorn.  It's when I need my graphics to work, that without fail...I have a problem!  So I have saved/exported this image in the Affinity program in every format (jpeg, png, pdf...etc.)  Most important the PDF format for printing at Staples (my local printer).  When I tried to pull it up just to print it, I couldn't.  it was/is un-clickable!   I know that's not the proper lingo, but you hope you understand what I was trying to do.  I should not have mattered what application, if it's saved/exported in every format! I was trying to use it in the Avery Labels program to print labels. It simply was not available to me as you saw in the picture.  I still don't understand why!

First of all, there is nothing wrong with your PDF file.

I can click on it and open it on a windows machine using a PDF reader (Foxit).

label.jpg.e1e4d1621ec7cf06d9e8002a4168a68b.jpg

I can also see the file normally in my Documents window.

icon.jpg.31d8d720d5500ec3dadbf88ee10ffb7b.jpg

and open the PDF file in Affinity Designer (Windows 10 PC).

designer.jpg.d41b4e66ecd567a66dec1cf4dc31a93a.jpg

I can also print it from the PDF or Designer files.

This is the Designer file resaved on my PC

daddy.afdesign

I tried Avery online

avery.jpg.2666a89b883d1214ec3cf57ca946180d.jpg

The issue is somewhere on your Mac. So don't get sidetracked with Staples, printing or Avery labels.

What happens with the Designer file I just uploaded ?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

10 hours ago, popncorn said:

Most important the PDF format for printing at Staples (my local printer).  When I tried to pull it up just to print it, I couldn't.  it was/is un-clickable!

Please list the application you are using & all the steps you perform in that app to 'pull it up just to print it.'

Affinity Photo 

50 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Please list the application you are using & all the steps you perform in that app to 'pull it up just to print it.'

I can read the PDF file perfectly on my PC

As a Mac guru, why can't the OP do that on his Mac ?

I quote "Either way, when I browse for any file saved after designing in Affinity, the image is not  clickable, or available.  From my desktop, documents folder, downloads, pictures, etc."

Can you read it on your Mac, or read my resaved file?

I tried Avery online website and his original PDF file works perfectly.

avery.jpg.51323e74d895523afdabfddcdce695de.jpg

Is it a Mac thing ?

10 hours ago, popncorn said:

I was trying to use it in the Avery Labels program to print labels.

Why are you trying to create labels via the Avery Labels program, instead of simply creating a new document in Affinity Designer at the correct size for a sheet of labels, pasting your design in the top left-hand corner and ‘power duplicating’ it to create a grid of copies from which you can create a PDF file to take to Staples? :/

Alfred spacer.png

36 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Why are you trying to create labels via the Avery Labels program, instead of simply creating a new document in Affinity Designer at the correct size for a sheet of labels, pasting your design in the top left-hand corner and ‘power duplicating’ it to create a grid of copies from which you can create a PDF file to take to Staples? :/

The OP seems to have  difficulties with everything, not just Avery labels detective.gif

quote "Either way, when I browse for any file saved after designing in Affinity, the image is not  clickable, or available.  From my desktop, documents folder, downloads, pictures, etc."

Yet I can read it O.o

I tried Avery online website and his PDF file works perfectly.

avery.jpg.27eaf4cb363f5a6f24e8c27cca1a7cb7.jpg

Is it a Mac thing ?

28 minutes ago, toltec said:

I quote "Either way, when I browse for any file saved after designing in Affinity, the image is not  clickable, or available.  From my desktop, documents folder, downloads, pictures, etc."

But he also said this:

On 5/8/2018 at 6:33 PM, popncorn said:

And now that I've taken a closer look, it's only the Affinity pictures that I can't seem to open.

So at least to me it is not clear at this point if by "Affinity pictureshe means any file created in Affinity Designer & exported to PDF or some other format, or just those in the native afdesign format.

Affinity Photo 

Just now, R C-R said:

But he also said this:

So at least to me it is not clear at this point if by "Affinity pictureshe means any file created in Affinity Designer & exported to PDF or some other format, or just those in the native afdesign format.

Yes, but he posted a PDF file which I can see, open and use in everything, and he can't. Which seems like something about viewing on his Mac ?

Mind you, how did he upload it ? 

Confusing O.o

30 minutes ago, toltec said:

The OP seems to have  difficulties with everything, not just Avery labels detective.gif

quote "Either way, when I browse for any file saved after designing in Affinity, the image is not  clickable, or available.  From my desktop, documents folder, downloads, pictures, etc."

Yet I can read it O.o

I tried Avery online website and his PDF file works perfectly.

avery.jpg.27eaf4cb363f5a6f24e8c27cca1a7cb7.jpg

Is it a Mac thing ?

Nope, The online app, supports more file formats than the desktop app (Avery Design&Print), see my post earlier on, the faded icons suggest a file that is not supported by the desktop app, the desktop app only supports JPG, PNG and BMP, this is why he can post the file but it's faded out in his vague screenshot. Pretty simple really.

Just now, toltec said:

Yes, but he posted a PDF file which I can see, open and use in everything, and he can't.

Where did he post this PDF file? I looked for it in a few of his topics but did not immediately find it, possibly because I am still on my first cup of coffee early this AM here.

Affinity Photo 

Just now, R C-R said:

Where did he post this PDF file? I looked for it in a few of his topics but did not immediately find it, possibly because I am still on my first cup of coffee early this AM here.

His third post. 

No 4 from the top of the thread.

You're over-thinking this and missing the obvious guys.

11 hours ago, popncorn said:

So I have saved/exported this image in the Affinity program in every format (jpeg, png, pdf...etc.)

It the "every format" bit that I noticed.

4 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Nope, The online app, supports more file formats than the desktop app (Avery Design&Print), see my post earlier on, the faded icons suggest a file that is not supported by the desktop app, the desktop app only supports JPG, PNG and BMP

I assume that after exporting in every format, he tried every format ?