You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dashed Strokes Break When Expanded. Why?

I've just done both horizontal and vertical paths with a 15px dashed stroke 1, 3, 0, 0 applied and expanded them with no ill effect. dashed Lines.afdesign

What are the stroke settings, got an example file?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

You have it set to Align: Outside, set it to Align: Centre

5af1fa9eb7560_ScreenShot2018-05-08at20_28_55.png.1312d2ab2be4d2930ff5cc2f57138043.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 minutes ago, yeffdaley said:

(Facepalm emoji)

Seems like this shouldn't matter but I clearly have a different mental model than AD.

Thanks.

Try applying the stroke to a shape like a rounded rectangle or even an ellipse and then change the Align: to inside and outside to see the effect it gives and this will shed some light on the dashed lines behaviour when expanding.

16 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Try applying the stroke to a shape like a rounded rectangle or even an ellipse and then change the Align: to inside and outside to see the effect it gives and this will shed some light on the dashed lines behaviour when expanding.

I can understand (a little) if I try to think like a robot. But to me, a human, it's as simple as "what you see is what you (should) get."

I never would have predicted AD's output in this case. 

I get the idea and the fact that it splits the dash into half is odd, I can understand the dashes getting closer to each other when aligned inside but not to the outside.

After looking at other apps that allow dashed lines, like illustrator and sketch, both do not allow you to have anything but Align: Centre, so Affinity having this option is up and above what most apps would let you do, which is pretty cool if a little quirky.

53 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I get the idea and the fact that it splits the dash into half is odd, I can understand the dashes getting closer to each other when aligned inside but not to the outside.

Hmmm. I noticed that expanding a dashed line converts it to a Curves (note the plural) object but that object does not have a stroke automatically applied to it. Adding a stroke manually works as I expect: 'aligned to inside' does not decrease the spacing because the strokes are inside the path; 'align to outside' decreases the spacing by approximately the width of the stroke; & 'align to center' decreases the spacing by approximately ½ the width of the stroke.

Are you seeing something different?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7