You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I'm using the trial version of Affinity 1.6.6, and although it loads NEF files and displays them, there is no exif data for camera and lens information transferred. All that is displayed is "NO CAMERA DATA" and the lens corrections are all set to default profile. Camera is Nikon D3300, lenses are Nikkor AF-P 18-55 mm 1:3.5-5.6 G and Nikkor AF-S 55-300 mm 1:4.5-5.6 G ED. Any ideas? Attached 1 NEF file and equivalent Affinity file and screenshots. 

DSC_0025.NEF

DSC_0025.afphoto

Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 5.24.34 pm.png

• Staff

Hi bildervice,

Welcome to the forums.

I've tested the RAW file you uploaded in the 1.6.6 trial of Affinity Photo and the camera and lens information is displayed on the toolbar and in the EXIF panel using both RAW engines.

Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 09.07.28.png

Hi, thanks for the reply, but that doesn't leave me any further forward. I have the iOS version on my iPad and that has no problem reading exif data from the files and displaying correct lens and camera info, but having uninstalled and re-installed the program, still no joy, as per attached screenshot. Any further ideas? Thanks.

Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 11.00.43 am.png

• Staff

Hi bildervice,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Camera and lens information is also being displayed correctly for me using Affinity Photo v1.6.7. The screenshots you are posting are from Photo Persona (after clicking the Develop button I suppose). Can you please open your NEF file and post a screenshot of the application while the .nef file is still opened in Develop Persona? Does the info appear correctly there?

• Staff

Thank you. That's weird. I'm shooting in the dark here but can you please reset the app and check this again? Launch the app with (ctrl) held down until a Clear User Data dialog appears. Remove the ticks for Don't restore window and documents and Reset Studio. Leave only Clear User Defaults checked then press Clear. Does it make any difference?

Hi, I don't know what difference this makes, but I'm using a mac running High Sierra 10.13.4, so the launch with ctrl held doesn't work. I just get the right click menu options as per standard OS UI. Tried using alt, but no Clear User Data dialogue, just the app launching as per usual. Any other idea for how to do it? Also, I took a RAW picture with the iPad version, and then opened the resulting exported .tiff in the desktop version, and the exif info for the iPad camera was intact and displaying as expected.

Edited by bildervice
Additional info

And I think I've solved it, although I don't altogether understand it. I found the reset options in preferences and did the lot, and then, rather than launch the app from the dock, I asked the finder to open the file with Affinity, and hey presto, there was the camera and lens info and all the rest of the exif data. BUT the way it did it was odd. The dock icon did not bounce up and down as usual when an app is opening a file, instead a completely new instance appeared at the end of the dock when the program opened. so I use this as the dock icon now and have removed the first one I created myself by dragging the app from the finder to the dock upon installation. Now when I open affinity from the dock using the new icon and open a RAW file, I get it working as it should. Weird, but happy, result. Thanks for the help, I wouldn't have done the reset thing otherwise for a while, but why the "open with ..." approach worked, I have no idea. I hope this helps anyone else with the same problem. Thanks again! And while I'm here, this looks like a bit of a killer app to me, so I'm delighted it now works properly and I can generate coherent and consistent workflow between desktop and iPad. Cracking piece of software and I see no reason why I won't make the full purchase when this trial ends!

Edited by bildervice
Additional info

OK, further update. It turns out that the "open with ..." business was the finder opening up the trial app from the image file mounted when I was installing the app. When I tried "open with ..." and specified the version in my applications folder, it was back to the same old story, no exif data. So I wonder what story is there? Why would the version on the image file work, but the version in my applications folder not?  If I did purchase the full version, presumably via the app store, would it be guaranteed to work as it should? Or would it work like the trial version? Which could be a problem ...

• Staff

Hi bildervice,

Do the following: Seems you have the trial installed - please check if it's located in the Applications folder as it should. If so make sure you have ejected the DMG file you have used to install it. Restart the system and check if the problem is solved.

To perform the reset I was referring to open the Applications folder and press and hold (ctrl) until a Clear User Data dialog appears. If you are doing this through the Dock then you must right-click the icon first then press and hold ⌃(ctrl) and select Open from the popup menu.

1 hour ago, bildervice said:

Hi again, okay so done all that and no joy. Attached screenshot of reset app.

Try this: with Affinity Photo trial open & showing the "No Camera Data" issue, in the Dock right-click on the Affinity icon, & choose "Show in Finder" from the "Options" submenu. That should open a Finder window with the Affinity app highlighted. What is the name shown at the top of that window? It should be "Applications," with an icon to its left that looks like this: applications.png.d58900cb8c888832243cdfa9cf3b0e5a.png (with the stylized "A" on the folder). The Affinity app should be highlighted, visible, & not indented under any other folder name if you are in Finder list view.

Is all of this what you see? If not, what is different? Either way, if that Finder window shows the Affinity app, you can try leaving it open, quitting the Affinity app, & as MEB mentioned above, hold down the (ctrl) key while double-clicking on it in that Finder window & resetting it as he explained above. (Don't select everything, just the item he mentioned.)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi, I opened up a raw file in the iOS app, developed it and saved it as an .afphoto file, which then opens in the desktop app with exif data intact (as per screenshot). Does this help?

Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 5.57.42 pm.png

Edited by bildervice
Screenshot failed to upload correctly

Hello All,

I am having the same "missing exif data" issue. Mac Book Pro with latest OS x update, just purchased Affinity Photo App from App Store, opening Nikon RAW image and no camera or exif data shown in Affinity.

I'm unclear about the resetting user data steps noted above. Are we talking about the User Data reset in Affinity? I also manually downloaded and installed the Mac version of exiftool. Resetting User Defaults within Affinity along with exiftool install did not result in Affinity showing camera or exif data.

I really want this to work but if I cant get the camera/exif data displayed without a bunch of messing around I'll need to seek a refund for the Affinity App. I understand this is a user driven forum and I appreciate any assistance that may be available.

Best,

Joe

• Staff

Hi josef.crepeau,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Apparently the reset doesn't fix this. The issue is caused by something else. The problem is we are not able to reproduce this here. The NEF file @bildervice attached to the first post does display the EXIF data for me and for Lee D. I'm not sure it will help but can you attach your nikon file as well? I will check it here on my Macs again.

• Staff

Hi josef.crepeau,

Thanks for the file. Do you have any anti-virus running? If so turn it off (disconnect the computer from the internet if needed) and check if Affinity displays the exif info properly.

I will check your NEF file here.

[EDIT] Your file also shows the exif data here as it should.

In Terminal, you can type the command exiftool and then drag and drop an image file from a Finder window into the Terminal window. This will result in a command like

exiftool /Users/(Username)/path/to/file.nef

if you then press the enter (return) key, it will return a complete and detailed list of the file's metadata and return you to the command prompt.

This is a pretty good indication that exiftool is working correctly on your Mac. I've tried that with your original .nef file and it works fine with the build of Exiftool I have installed.

However, if you do the same thing with an .afphoto file, Exiftool will just report the file size, date information and "Unknown file type" .

Similarly, if I open your .nef file in Affinity Photo (Develop persona), the exif data is displayed. But if I open the .afphoto file in Affinity Photo, I get No Camera Data.

This is basically because Exiftool doesn't support or read the .afphoto file format. This was confirmed by the developer on the exiftool forum some time back. 

Just wondering - are you looking at the AFPhoto version or the .nef version?

(On my Mac running High Sierra, exiftool runs fine from Terminal for any user - even Guest. There are some security issues with recent versions of the macOS when running Exiftool commands within AppleScripts (and probably Automator too) but the fix is relatively straightforward. As far as I'm aware there are no issues if you run Exiftool commands of any kind directly from a Terminal command prompt.)

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

exiftool works just fine from the terminal, but the same file opened directly with Affinity shows no data. It is definitely the same .nef file, and not an .afphoto file. Affinity on mac (high sierra) does read .afphoto files created from .nef files by Affinity on my iPad, and displays the transferred exif data fine (see previous post). Hope that makes sense.

well, the trial finally timed out on me, so I bit the bullet and bought the licence, and now I have a working program, that reads exif data from .nef files no problem. So I guess I'm happy now! Thanks for all the efforts! Starting to get some really nice results now, but lots of learning still to do, so no doubt I'll be back to pick some brains soon.

Screen Shot 2018-05-18 at 3.07.20 am.png

I never purchased the trial version... still no camera data for me... bought Pixelmator but prefer Affinity's UI... no camera/exif data a deal breaker for me. If anyone lurking here is able to suggest a Mac setting I may be missing I will be grateful to hear about it.

Counting down hours till a refund request is submitted.