You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HEIF format

I noticed today when trying to download and save a photo that I had an option of HEIF format - which may be going to become a new "standard".

Out of curiosity I created one, and then tried to open it with Affinity Photo. It seems that AP doesn't handle this format - yet. This may become more important in the future.

• Staff

This is something we support on mobile but not on desktop I'm afraid. I have moved this to Feature Requests as it seems as though it would be more suited to that section. 

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

1 hour ago, dave2017 said:

HEIF format - which may be going to become a new "standard"

It seems the next Windows 10 Version (due within short time in spring 2018) does support this new format:

https://liliputing.com/2018/03/microsoft-adds-heif-image-support-to-windows-10.html

This does not mean that APh will be able to take use of it, though. This will be up to the programmers. And this will depend (among other things) how popular this format will become.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

58 minutes ago, dominik said:

It seems the next Windows 10 Version (due within short time in spring 2018)

I believe that's the April 2018 version of Windows 10 that became available on April 30. My desktop machine seems to have the support, but I don't have any HEIF files to confirm it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

34 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I believe that's the April 2018 version of Windows 10 that became available on April 30. 

@walt.farrell,

that must be the one I read about. I just didn't know that it is already in (or on?) distribution.

I found some sample images you could try: http://nokiatech.github.io/heif/examples.html

Cheers,

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

2 hours ago, dominik said:

I found some sample images you could try: http://nokiatech.github.io/heif/examples.html

Thanks, but I don't see a way to download those images. I can view them, and I can try to download them from my browser via "Save image as" but the only choice I get is .png when I try to do that.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

27 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks, but I don't see a way to download those images. I can view them, and I can try to download them from my browser via "Save image as" but the only choice I get is .png when I try to do that.

You are right, I missed that.

I found another page that seems to give access to those *.heic images. I was able to download them but my windows doesn't display them. You could give it a try if you want:

https://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=32568

d.

32 minutes ago, dominik said:

You are right, I missed that.

I found another page that seems to give access to those *.heic images. I was able to download them but my windows doesn't display them. You could give it a try if you want:

https://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=32568

Thanks.

I downloaded a couple of files from there, and the Windows Photos application will open them, but as expected Affinity Photo (beta 1.6.5.109) won't. (I also had to install the HEIF Extension from the Windows Store.)

Edit: Now all we have to do is hope that the Affinity team will provide the support needed in Affinity :)

-- Walt
PC:

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks.

I downloaded a couple of files from there, and the Windows Photos application will open them, but as expected Affinity Photo (beta 1.6.5.109) won't. (I also had to install the HEIF Extension from the Windows Store.)

Thanks for trying.

I was surprised to see how hard it was to find sample images. I take it that we are far from a new standard, then ;)

But by looking a HEIF/JPG comparison images and reading a little about HEIF's advanced compression I can see some potential.

Cheers for today. I'm off for ESC's first semi-final :)

d.