You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there,

I've got a problem exporting a CG render.
The source is an .EXR 32bits linear, I've applied an OCIO, LUT... everything is correct in affinity (right contrast) but when I export it, it looks like there something wrong with the color profil (not sure).
The image looks dull.
i've tried different export format, color profil but always the same problem.
I'm on windows with Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

test_carpaint_12_screenshot.jpg

test_carpaint_12.jpg

• Staff

Hi Mareck, could you check what your 32-bit preview options are set to? Go to View>Studio and choose 32-bit Preview Panel. Because you're using an OCIO configuration the display transform will be set to "OCIO Display Transform". If you could provide a couple of screenshots of this panel and the available options that would help. It's possible you need to be using a different view transform: most OCIO configurations will include linear options like "Non-Colour Data", "Linear Raw" etc, but these aren't suitable if your workflow is simply to edit in Photo and export to JPEG. Unless you're passing the render between different software and need explicit colour management, you may be better off simply using the ICC Display Transform option, as that will provide the best match when you export the result as JPEG with a non-linear sRGB profile.

Hope that helps—any info you can give on your workflow would be useful, as we can then help you further!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Thanks James, we are getting forward,effectively I'm in OCIO display Transform, and when I set the display transform to ICC it's what I have when I'm exporting.
But not what I want ^^.

My workflow is:

Rendering in Blender, export in linear 32bits .EXR to keep information for gradding.
Import in Affinity photo with the Filmic sRGB OCIO from Blender.

I do like this because in Blender I have the Filmic OCIO view directly in the previw (specific Log view), so I work with this view for lighting and shading.
But even if we have color gradding and post prod tools in Blender, doing it in Affinity is more effective and flexible.

So do you tell me there isn't a way to export what I have on screen with OCIO display transform? Or I'm doing something wrong?
I'm a neeby with Affinity photo.

PS: sorry I forgot the screenshot, I feel I know what you'll told me, my view is on none, so no way of exporting what I see isn't it? ^^

32bit_preview_screenshot.jpg

Edited by Mareck
Forgot the screenshot

• Staff

Hi @Mareck,

You would be better off working in a sRGB across the board. Your final image is going to be Jpeg srgb anyways, and there's no real reason to go from linear to Filmic OCIO , and then from Filmic OCIO to sRGB. Try to set the working space in Blender to sRGB_OETF. In 32 bit preview, select the sRGB_OETF in the first drop-down menu, and sRGB in the second one. Or, you can leave it to ICC. Both will look almost identical. This way you will definitely export what you see on the screen.  

Thanks @GabrielM
I wasn't sure to understand your purpose, but now I think it's ok, you aren't advising to export in sRGB but to work linear and visualise in sRGB.
I've investigated a bit more about how it works in Affinity and now I'm ok with the 32 bits workflow, but one thing I'm not completely sure is, the workflow for OCIO layers.
Is it 32bits preview in ICC, then OCIO layer source to sRGB and destination to what's needed?
Because it's nice to have the possibilitie to mask the OCIO layer or to have it just on a spécific layer.

And thanks one more time @James Ritson

• Staff

If you're exporting for Viewing/sharing, you would need to export and work in sRGB. There's no need to work on custom profiles as any flatten images ( png, jpeg) will be displayed in sRGB anyways. If you're half way through a pipeline and you need to export the files in a specific colour format ( linear, rec709 ) you will need to view and work in a linear model. 

For export and web sharing you would need something like this: 32 bit preview>ICC Display Transform or OCIO sRGB . In the OCIO adjustment layer, you would need the source matching the source OCIO ( the one used in Blender) and the destination, sRGB. 

For pipeline workflow, 32 bit preview>OCIO required DESTINATION PROFILE. In the OCIO adjustment layer, you would need the source matching the source OCIO ( the one used in Blender) and the destination, the OCIO required for the destination, matching the 32bit preview.

The destination should always match the 32 bit preview, to ensure that what you're exporting matches what you see on the screen. 

Awful advice in here. Just simply awful.

@Mareck I suspect the issue is that you have an ICC chain stacked on top of the OCIO chain, and it is further adjusting the assumptions in the image.

I can't know more without further information.

Thanks Troy,
Nice to see you there, I'm struggling since 2 days to have a fonctionnal 32bits linear workflow in AP.
I've managed it but not the optimal way I think.
I'm making a new post for that, you'll be welcome there^^ (I'll mention you so you know when it's done)