You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

46 minutes ago, haakoo said:

@verysame 

That would be really odd, to say the least:

Clipboard01.jpg.d14aca002b32a13d31f7ef946c84573d.jpg

If we also consider the use of the GPU in Affinity is not relevant...

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

36 minutes ago, haakoo said:

@verysame remembered this post and thought it could apply to your issue,might do the trick.

Where is the post @haakoo?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

It wouldn't hurt to try the solution Haakoo linked to?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

44 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

We are not saying you are wrong verysame, I know it can be frustrating but remember we aren't there so we are fumbling through the dark a bit, we are trying to eliminate potential culprits or partners in crimes so to speak, because it's seldom just a single lone app that's causing the issue. Finding a problem that very few people have is a time consuming job and we need a clear picture to make intelligent suggestions, that requires trying to eliminate the obvious. Unfortunately we can't all stand behind you with clipboards when all this happens. Maybe making a video might help with CPU usage processes showing, someone might pick something up that you have missed or get a clue to what is actually happening.

:14_relaxed:

I appreciate you're trying to help, @firstdefence, I'm sorry if my post it's been confusing but the thing is, I only reported my issue not because I hoped to find a solution, but just to let the OP know that the original question has no answer. I started using Affinity almost two years ago, I went from excitement to frustration to disappointment. I know from personal experience that there are no optimal hardware specs anyone can give other than a rather generic "get the best hardware you can", and it is frustrating because it's like walking in the dark.

I tested Affinity on dual Xeon, Intel i7 at fast clock speed, three and four GeForce GPUs, now the Ryzen. It gets a little better, but nothing has proved to be significantly better.

I wanted to add my contribution because I remember when time ago I (and other users on this forum) have asked for a long time whether Affinity products were optimized for GPUs or not. After lots of confusion and misunderstanding, finally, one of the dev shed some light and explained there isn't much benefit Affinity takes from GPUs. But that answer took a few months.

I recently switched to the Ryzen Threadripper because I knew after asking on forums, that C4D and other software would benefit from it, and I can confirm that. If at least, there was something we could rely on, either GPU, Speed Clock or number of cores, that would be something, but to date, Affinity products are not optimized for anything in particular.

Just my 2 c.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti

3 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

It wouldn't hurt to try the solution Haakoo linked to?

To put it simply, no, and here's why.

The solution provided in that thread refers to the Vsync (there is a good explanation here ) and I hardly see how this can be related to the CPU. But even assuming it is related in some way, I honestly don't want to run the risk to mess up my system which I use for business, and where I have many other programs running and none of them with any issues whatsoever so far, only to tweak one program (which, personally, I'm not even happy with). It would really be a twisted logic to do so.

Hope at some point they'll finally make things run smoother. It's been difficult to adjust to Affinity paradigms, it's been great to love it, it's been sad and frustrating abandoning it. It would definitely great to come back when (and if) things will run in a more flawless way.

Andrew
-

1 hour ago, verysame said:

Hope at some point they'll finally make things run smoother. {...} It would definitely great to come back when (and if) things will run in a more flawless way.

You say this as if every Windows user was seeing the same CPU (or whatever) issues that you do, but that is not true. If you doubt this, just browse through the topics & note how many Windows users are reporting similar issues vs. those who are not, or check out the reviews from other sources, the YouTube videos, etc.

That's why people are suggesting various things that might reveal some clue about why the Affinity app on your system is not working as well as it does for others, & why neither the developers or anybody else can give you a definitive 'one-size-fits-all' explanation of what is wrong or how to make things run smoother.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

You say this as if every Windows user was seeing the same CPU (or whatever) issues that you do, but that is not true. If you doubt this, just browse through the topics & note how many Windows users are reporting similar issues vs. those who are not, or check out the reviews from other sources, the YouTube videos, etc.

That's why people are suggesting various things that might reveal some clue about why the Affinity app on your system is not working as well as it does for others, & why neither the developers or anybody else can give you a definitive 'one-size-fits-all' explanation of what is wrong or how to make things run smoother.

When did I say every Window user? Can you quote me writing that, because if so, I was utterly wrong.

You say this as if it was one system, whereas, if you read my posts, I said I tested it over almost two years on different configurations.

As for browsing through the topics, even in this very thread, they quoted another issue titled "Affinity Photo is making my PC cry". 

Like I said, I'm not here to fix anything, Affinity is broken and it's been like this for me on different machines/configurations for almost two years now.

I'm glad it works for other users, but it does not for me.

Andrew
-

1 minute ago, verysame said:

Like I said, I'm not here to fix anything, Affinity is broken and it's been like this for me on different machines/configurations for almost two years now.

Yes, we get that. But that does not mean that the Affinity app itself is broken, only that there is something broken on some (but far from all) Windows machines running it. If you are not interested in finding & fixing what that something is, so be it.

But the logic that if only the Affinity app is not working correctly on these machines it must mean the problem is in the Affinity app itself is deeply flawed, & will not help anyone fix whatever might be wrong with their machines.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

Yes, we get that. But that does not mean that the Affinity app itself is broken, only that there is something broken on some (but far from all) Windows machines running it. If you are not interested in finding & fixing what that something is, so be it.

But the logic that if only the Affinity app is not working correctly on these machines it must mean the problem is in the Affinity app itself is deeply flawed, & will not help anyone fix whatever might be wrong with their machines.

I don't see how testing a program on multiple machines/configuration and getting issues from all them and concluding that there's something wrong with the program makes the logic "deeply flawed". Speaking of flawed logic...

Your assumption is a little "one-way" thing. You assume that there's something wrong with my configurations. Isn't possible instead that there's something wrong with Affinity and other users are happy because their use is different than mine? So, perhaps you should ask the same question to the devs, instead of assuming that the problem is on my side. It might be possible that there's something that needs to be fixed or improved. That's how software evolves.

Do you want an example? Check the 32bit situation. How many times do you deal with that type of image? And that's for your "majority" of happy users. As for the 32-bit issue, for how long we thought it was a video card driver issue? Well, it is not. Devs eventually even acknowledged it, but it is still broken (because of priorities, lack of resources, you name it). So, I think it's now only logical to conclude that if something is not working not necessarily is on my side.

Oh, and by the way, you can browse the forum too, you'll find out I'm not a highlander here...

Andrew
-

5 minutes ago, verysame said:

I don't see how testing a program on multiple machines/configuration and getting issues from all them and concluding that there's something wrong with the program makes the logic "deeply flawed".

It is deeply flawed because it ignores the fact that other machines in use by other people do not have the same issues that you & a few others do, including those that work with large 32 bit images & so on.

The name for this is "statistical bias," a.k.a. "cherry picking," to support a preconceived conclusion.

Affinity Photo 

@verysame I hope you eventually come back to Affinity when it has matured enough for you to get what you need out of it. We all have our workflows and demands on this app and for now it would seem your workflow and demands outstrip Affinity's capabilities. I think you'll have to give it a year or two and see how Affinity has developed, hopefully it will suit your needs more by then.

• Staff
On 06/05/2018 at 5:11 AM, Fatih19 said:

How much cores does Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo use? 

Ok - I'm not giving a general answer to this - it's not that straight forward. So, I can speak for the bits I've done.

We try to use as many cores as available, depending upon the task.  Whenever something could be parallel processed, then we will have used a threaded segmented approach. So, snapping, for example, will now spawn nested threads to perform calculations.  It starts with a single high level thread, which queues up smaller tasks, and those also can queue sub-tasks. The hope being that as the snapping branches it will perform the smaller tasks in parallel.

All the raster stuff will be very parallelised.  @Andy Somerfield is the best person to comment on this.

There are some things which have to remain single thread, such as serialisation.  While threads may access stored data, file access (reading and writing) always has to be serial.

UI will also be done on the main thread, but components of UI might be generated in background task threads (such as creating thumbnail images).

As far as threading goes - no major task performed in Affinity will be intentionally blocking another major task - they will share available cores, subject to standard thread prioritisation.  That being said, threading is also always limited by shared resource access.  Access to the document data will use critical sections, which will prevent more than one thread accessing resources.  So, some threaded tasks will be forced to yield if they need document data access.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

On 5/7/2018 at 11:29 PM, firstdefence said:

@verysame I hope you eventually come back to Affinity when it has matured enough for you to get what you need out of it. We all have our workflows and demands on this app and for now it would seem your workflow and demands outstrip Affinity's capabilities. I think you'll have to give it a year or two and see how Affinity has developed, hopefully it will suit your needs more by then.

Thank you, @firstdefence.

I only wanted to add my experience as far as PC spec goes since from what I learned there's nothing that can be considered the ideal situation.

It's surely due to several reasons, the relatively young age of the product, the resources, the budget, so hopefully like you said in the future it will get there.

I hope the same will apply to some of the features I still miss as well as some of those that are there, but not 100% complete yet.

Best,

Andrew

Andrew
-

• 2 years later...

Hello @Ben,

I'm building a new PC for work with Affinity Designer and Photo. And I intend to buy a Ryzen 3 3200G (4c/4t)  or a Ryzen 5 3400G (4c/8t). I really need help choosing between these two as a cheaper 3200G is fine enough if Affinity doesn't make use of multiple cores. Really want to know if I can save some money by buying the 3200G, or if spending more is worth it for Affinity. I'm a graphic designer who is starting a printing business.