You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Fatih19,

As far as I'm aware  Affinity uses everything available to it as and when necessary.

Thanks

Callum 

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

13 minutes ago, Callum said:

Hi Fatih19,

As far as I'm aware  Affinity uses everything available to it as and when necessary.

Thanks

Callum 

That is very good design. Is it tho? That means AMD threadripper or Intel i9 can be used to its fullest.

29 minutes ago, Callum said:

A search for multi-threaded suggests otherwise. For example, @Ben has mentioned that snapping will be multi-threaded in version 1.7, which is a clear indication that it hasn’t been multi-threaded in earlier versions.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

23 minutes ago, Alfred said:

A search for multi-threaded suggests otherwise. For example, @Ben has mentioned that snapping will be multi-threaded in version 1.7, which is a clear indication that it hasn’t been multi-threaded in earlier versions.

But does that mean the cores not in use for snapping are not (where appropriate) available for other uses at the same time?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

18 minutes ago, R C-R said:

But does that mean the cores not in use for snapping are not (where appropriate) available for other uses at the same time?

Good question! The answer is probably “No, it doesn’t mean that”.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

This is pretty crucial. If Affinity is optimized for single core performance (like Adobe), i would need to use intel. If Affinity is optimized for multi core performance, i would need to use amd.

I think you never go wrong when you get the best computer you can afford with the most cores. For example, my old reliable Mac Pro from 2008 was an 8 core, 8 thread machine and it lasted me 10 years. This past year I got a Ryzen 7 1700x, 8 core/16 thread CPU and it overclocks to 4 GHz. To me it was too good to pass up. I am not afraid to roll up my sleeves and put Mac OS on it as some point but for now I use it with Windows and it will easily last me 10 years too. 

You can't just think of how Serif uses all of those cores but how everything does. Games, other apps, the OS, they are all using more cores now. With AMD bringing 8 core CPUs to the masses for a reasonable price, it forced Intel to respond and they will soon do the same. I think 8 core CPUs will be the new standard very shortly. Best to future proof your computer by getting the most cores you can. You may not think you need it now (8 cores) but two years from now you will be glad you did.

7 minutes ago, Scungio said:

I think you never go wrong when you get the best computer you can afford with the most cores. For example, my old reliable Mac Pro from 2008 was an 8 core, 8 thread machine and it lasted me 10 years. This past year I got a Ryzen 7 1700x, 8 core/16 thread CPU and it overclocks to 4 GHz. To me it was too good to pass up. I am not afraid to roll up my sleeves and put Mac OS on it as some point but for now I use it with Windows and it will easily last me 10 years too. 

You can't just think of how Serif uses all of those cores but how everything does. Games, other apps, the OS, they are all using more cores now. With AMD bringing 8 core CPUs to the masses for a reasonable price, it forced Intel to respond and they will soon do the same. I think 8 core CPUs will be the new standard very shortly. Best to future proof your computer by getting the most cores you can. You may not think you need it now (8 cores) but two years from now you will be glad you did.

I do know that more cores matter. But there is certain software that works better if the single core performance is good rather than multi core performance. 

34 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

I do know that more cores matter. But there is certain software that works better if the single core performance is good rather than multi core performance. 

For apps like the Affinity ones, some operations can only use one core & others can use multiple ones, so what you want is a CPU with a good balance of single- & multi-core performance.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

You can have all the cores you want but if a system; built or bought, isn't a harmonious build your going to have a fight on your hands. I've had a lot of customers with Ryzen CPU's and AMD graphic cards that have had graphics issues; driver issues and the HD Audio install, some were just a matter of reinstalling without a lot of the junk but most were solved with BIOS updates that bought system stability to the table. But you need more than cores to get good performance, memory, the right type of hard drive, a decent graphic card, a good case, a rock solid PSU, great cooling and the all important motherboard choice. Oh and the art form that is cable management.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

18 minutes ago, IanSG said:

In my case, that owes a lot to Jackson Pollock!

Is this you?

server_room_200241881-001-56a1adb35f9b58b7d0c1a1f2.thumb.jpg.311c99d8fd6b9f88fa698acb6f7bbdb2.jpg

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

15 hours ago, Fatih19 said:

How much cores does Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo use? 

Faith19, thanks for posting this.

I was going to ask a similar question. I recently switched to a fast machine, AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950x, 32GB, Samsung EVO 860, 2 GTX 1080ti (I know, I know, GPU doesn't matter, these are just the specs) and yet, I can tell you the speed is not significantly better than my old machine (specs in my signature).

But what is really annoying is that as soon as I start working (no matter what file I'm working on, small or big), the fans start spinning like crazy, CPU's temperature reaches the peek. Honestly, I don't feel I want to use a program in these conditions. Despite PCs nowadays have really good airflow systems and they are built to support some degree of stress, I don't like the idea of keeping my PC at these levels of stress, and this happens only with Affinity products. I use the machine for heavy 3D renderings & After Effects compositing and it rarely gets that warm. To be honest, the only other software that put some stress on my box is Capture One, but at least is not consistent, it's more bearable.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

7 hours ago, verysame said:

Faith19, thanks for posting this.

I was going to ask a similar question. I recently switched to a fast machine, AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950x, 32GB, Samsung EVO 860, 2 GTX 1080ti (I know, I know, GPU doesn't matter, these are just the specs) and yet, I can tell you the speed is not significantly better than my old machine (specs in my signature).

But what is really annoying is that as soon as I start working (no matter what file I'm working on, small or big), the fans start spinning like crazy, CPU's temperature reaches the peek. Honestly, I don't feel I want to use a program in these conditions. Despite PCs nowadays have really good airflow systems and they are built to support some degree of stress, I don't like the idea of keeping my PC at these levels of stress, and this happens only with Affinity products. I use the machine for heavy 3D renderings & After Effects compositing and it rarely gets that warm. To be honest, the only other software that put some stress on my box is Capture One, but at least is not consistent, it's more bearable.

You might need a better cpu cooler and a new thermal paste. 

Just now, Fatih19 said:

You might need a better cpu cooler and a new thermal paste. 

Nope, the Box I'm using is already assembled at its best, it's a Dell and it's liquid cooling.

Like I said, no issue with any of the other programs I'm using, except Affinity.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti

13 hours ago, IanSG said:

In my case, that owes a lot to Jackson Pollock!

@verysame nice system but having the mutts nutz doesn't preclude you from having resource issues. I find it odd that Affinity is thrashing your CPU so might be an idea to see if it's something to do with Affinity and your setup i.e. motherboard etc and maybe other apps that are running in tandem. I assume you have the latest BIOS or have checked the amendments sheet to see if it resolves any issues you might have. 

A BIOS update that I applied fixed an Intermittent issue that locked a system up (Win8 and Adobe Photoshop using a Drawing tablet) they tried all manner of fixes, mainly relating to the graphic card and it's drivers, none of the "fixes" worked. I went over and the first thing I did was check for a BIOS update, two months down the line and the system is rock solid stable with no lockups.

How sure are you that its Affinity that is causing the issue? having an app open does not necessarily mean that the app is the culprit. There could be background apps working against or in conflict with Affinity. Antivirus; an unfortunate necessity on windows systems can be a major drain and have been known to thrash both Hard Drives and CPU's, checking for malware is also a necessary evil and malware can induce CPU thrashing.

@firstdefence Well, if the issue happens only when I open Affinity, there isn't much else to doubt about the reason of the problem.

Really, the box runs just fine 100% of the time, with zero issue, nada. Everything is updated, BIOS, video card drivers. There's no need for me to check on that side, I'm 100% sure nothing is wrong with the PC. No CPU trashing due to MS antivirus, which by the way has never been an issue for me even in the previous machines (I was running AVIRA, but same story, no issue). It is, without any doubt, something that Affinity triggers.

Andrew
-

1 minute ago, verysame said:

Well, if the issue happens only when I open Affinity, there isn't much else to doubt about the reason of the problem.

It is not necessarily true that an issue that affects only one or a few apps must be caused by a problem in the app itself. For example, some apps use system code or resources that very few other apps use. An issue with any of them is unlikely to appear with any app that does not use them. The same can be true of conflicts with third party add-on software, particularly those that use an undocumented entry point into a system service or otherwise insert their code into some process before passing their output on to a system or app level process.

It doesn't even have to be anything that alters any data. It could do nothing more than increase the time it takes to pass data on to the next process, which can result in delays in 'downstream' processes running in different threads.

Affinity Photo 

17 minutes ago, R C-R said:

It is not necessarily true that an issue that affects only one or a few apps must be caused by a problem in the app itself. For example, some apps use system code or resources that very few other apps use. [...]

Well, you said it, it is that program that causes the issue.

Andrew
-

By the way, this is turning into another of those threads where there's plenty of back and forth between users with no clue of what's going on, and no devs show up to say anything as not even them can figure this out.

So, going back to the original OP's question, there's no answer (as usual).

Andrew
-

23 minutes ago, verysame said:

no devs show up to say anything as not even them can figure this out.

It's a public holiday in the UK today, so the devs are probably enjoying an ice cream in the sunshine. :15_yum:

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

1 hour ago, verysame said:

By the way, this is turning into another of those threads where there's plenty of back and forth between users with no clue of what's going on, and no devs show up to say anything as not even them can figure this out.

So, going back to the original OP's question, there's no answer (as usual).

We are not saying you are wrong verysame, I know it can be frustrating but remember we aren't there so we are fumbling through the dark a bit, we are trying to eliminate potential culprits or partners in crimes so to speak, because it's seldom just a single lone app that's causing the issue. Finding a problem that very few people have is a time consuming job and we need a clear picture to make intelligent suggestions, that requires trying to eliminate the obvious. Unfortunately we can't all stand behind you with clipboards when all this happens. Maybe making a video might help with CPU usage processes showing, someone might pick something up that you have missed or get a clue to what is actually happening.

:14_relaxed: