Jump to content
M_alvarez

Resize very large images into very small images

Recommended Posts

I have a very large image 5000px x 3500px and I need to make it 870px x 320px for a website banner. 

 

I know I have to crop the image first because the ratios are not the same, but I have tried many ways, even tried to edit the SVG code, and it's just impossible. 

 

The image doesn't look sharp enough. 

 

Is this impossible to do? am I wasting my time? or is someone actually able to resize this much a very large image and keep at least moderate quality? 

 

Thanks!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, M_alvarez said:

Is this impossible to do?

Short answer: yes, it is impossible.

 

Longer answer: ignoring cropping, you are trying to reduce 17.5 million pixels to around 278 thousand pixels, which means every 63 or so pixels of the original has to be replaced with 1 pixel in the smaller version. That does not allow for much detail retention, so unless there are not many fine-scale details in the original, the smaller version is going to look terrible.


Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, M_alvarez said:

The image doesn't look sharp enough.

 

Please forgive me if I’m asking the obvious, but have you tried sharpening it?

 

Getting a usable result is generally much easier when shrinking an image than when enlarging one, since you only have to discard existing pixels instead of creating new ones.


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Please forgive me if I’m asking the obvious, but have you tried sharpening it?

For such extreme size reductions, the best approach is likely to be simplifying the image first as much as possible, like by painting out fine details or using noise reduction selectively, or whatever else works best to preserve important large scale details & eliminate fine scale ones.


Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

For such extreme size reductions, the best approach is likely to be simplifying the image first as much as possible, like by painting out fine details or using noise reduction selectively, or whatever else works best to preserve important large scale details & eliminate fine scale ones.

 

In general, yes. If we could see the actual image we might be able to offer more specific advice.


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all, thank you guys for your replies. 

 

@R C-R I thought this was impossible as well, I had my hopes up. 

 

@alfred absolutely! I attached 2 images - I couldn't upload the original, maybe because it's really big. The original, cropped, and my attempt to resize it to 870px x 320px. 

 

Thanks again! 

Original Cropped .jpg

Resized (870 x 320).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, M_alvarez said:

I have a very large image 5000px x 3500px and I need to make it 870px x 320px for a website banner. 

 

I know I have to crop the image first because the ratios are not the same, but I have tried many ways, even tried to edit the SVG code, and it's just impossible. 

 

The image doesn't look sharp enough. 

 

Is this impossible to do? am I wasting my time? or is someone actually able to resize this much a very large image and keep at least moderate quality? 

 

Thanks!

 

 

 

Try using Unsharp mask or even sharpening before cropping/resizing. You'll need to experiment once or twice, but use an amount that looks over sharpened. What you will likely need is enough of a value to overcome the size of the image and look, well, sort of bad.

 

Then crop and resize. It will get softer when the resize happens. And you will need to experiment whether bicubic or Lanzcos works better fr you. The below was a first attempt.

 

_OriginalCropped.jpg.aa6c044c9325f686ec5d66d8c1ff13ae.jpg


My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MikeW said:

And you will need to experiment whether bicubic or Lanczos works better for you.

 

Lanczos usually works better when resizing upwards, and bicubic (or even bilateral) usually works better when resizing downwards, but the rules may be different if you’ve sharpened the image beforehand.


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Alfred said:

 

Lanczos usually works better when resizing upwards, and bicubic (or even bilateral) usually works better when resizing downwards, but the rules may be different if you’ve sharpened the image beforehand.

 

Hmm I find that lanczos works better for downsizing. I haven't touched bicubic in the last couple of builds tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×