You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A few days ago I updated my second pc, an old and very slow laptop, to Windows 10 1803. I noticed the protected folder feature and left it "as delivered". Today I have tried to update that pc to Affinity 1.6.4.104 and during installation everything appeared to stop (difficult to tell on this pc, it doesn't really have enough umph to pull the skin off a rice pudding). The Notifications box was showing that it had something to tell me and on checking it, it was showing "Unauthorised changes blocked. Controlled folder access blocked C:\Windows\Sy...\VSSVC.exe from making changes to memory".

That's really helpful of it, truncating the folder path, but on checking I reckon it's C:\Windows\System32\VSSVC.exe. 

Simple solution, I turned off folder protection, ran the installation again and everything was fine. So I reckon that MS are shooting themselves in the foot. After all VSSVC is Volume Shadow Copy, maybe something to do with taking a checkpoint before installation? Any second opinions please?  

Thanks,

John

VSSVC is part of the windows backup system (Volume Shadow Copy) it can be temporarily disabled as a workaround.

Type, services.msc in Start search box and hit Enter to open the Windows Services Manager. Locate Volume Shadow Copy Service, and then double-click on it to open its Properties box. Stop the Service and then Start it again. Or else right-click on it and select Restart.

Services-600x341.png

If this does not help, then as a temporary measure, you could Stop this Service if it is interfering with your work.

You may also use the Task Manager to end this Task.

I reckon it's C:\Windows\System32\VSSVC.exe

Correct.

Just for safety I'd run a scan with Malwarebytes and ADW

Shadow copies can be important as in the spate of Encryption Ransomware, I've gotten many a file back accessing the shadow copies: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shadow_copy_view.html very useful tool save it onto a USB stick and hope you never have to use it ;)

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Installing Windows 10 on a low spec or old system might require a bit of tweaking with services to minimise impact of resources: http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-10-service-configurations/

I've used this info in the past to help old chuggaboom laptops gain a bit of resource.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks FD. As I say, I sorted it by turning off Controlled Folders temporarily. There's always at least three ways to do the same thing in Windows :-)

Interesting thought that it may be a resource isue rather than a real conflict. I'll read the information at that link you pointed me to. I'm a long time Malwarebytes fan but that other one is new to me, I'll take a look. 

I might be putting two and two together and making twenty two, the two and two being; installing 1803 with Controlled Folders and then a failure when installing the AP update. If it was a general problem, install 1803 and you'll get an error when installing any software, I think people would have screamed MS's roof down. It looks like a good idea but a UAC style prompt would be an improvement.   

Thanks again, it is fortunate that I have a least a little Windows knowledge and can work my way around it and I know there ar helpful people such as yourself to call upon.

John