You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selection not taking effect?

Likely doing something wrong, but for example:

- I use selection brush to select an eye

- I use recolour to satisfaction

- I clear the selection and make a selection of the other eye 

Now I click recolour again, but for some reason it recolours the previous selection again - it does not take effect in the newly selected area at all, it keeps recolouring the previous selection no matter how many times I clear and re-select.

17 hours ago, LvH said:

Now I click recolour again, but for some reason it recolours the previous selection again - it does not take effect in the newly selected area at all, it keeps recolouring the previous selection no matter how many times I clear and re-select.

Hello LvH  :)

You have to apply a new Recolour Adjustment Layer to the second selection.

One Recolour Adjustment layer for each.

Edit. The method above is if you wish to apply a different adjustment to each selection area.

To apply the same adjustment to more than one selection area, select all the desired areas first, (making sure Add is selected.on the Context Toolbar)

add.jpg.8c0cd9245a47d318ac6361542be68413.jpg

then apply the adjustment layer. It will be applied to all the selected areas at once. e.g.

Original

blue.jpg.27e0af41ef2707790251e59377088b4f.jpg

Both eyes selected

selected.jpg.bc6060e293f603d24e61f83f4116482b.jpg

One Recolour Adjustment applied.

layers.jpg.161b4b211c2f7957b191b1983af3f9a6.jpg

Result

green.jpg.a4d57b83372f0216624cf9caa78153d5.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

You could also use a gradient map adjustment to get some funky effects

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

7 hours ago, h_d said:

Add a single Recolour adjustment layer, invert it, paint white over the eyes, adjust:

Good point, from reading the OPs post, I took it he wanted separate recolour adjustments but unless the subject has Heterochromia  (or the OP wishes to simulate the condition) I guess that does not make much sense .I edited my first post to avoid confusing him.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

4 hours ago, toltec said:

from reading the OPs post, I took it he wanted separate recolour adjustments

That’s what I thought, too! Why else would you recolour one eye, clear the selection and then attempt to recolour the other eye, instead of selecting both at the same time in the first place? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I get it! (I think...)

When the OP creates his first selection, it is automatically saved as a mask on the adjustment layer.

5aeecaa6ed322_ScreenShot2018-05-06at10_27_29.thumb.png.6339c6e652fc8060c1ee1390d6256088.png

When the OP deselects and then creates a new selection, the newly selected area is not added to the mask

5aeecafd7ff0e_ScreenShot2018-05-06at10_28_45.thumb.png.51e2f47bce9b9d638e40b04a271468e3.png

To apply the adjustment to the newly selected area, the OP needs to make sure the adjustment layer is selected, and fill the new selection with white:

5aeecb55058d4_ScreenShot2018-05-06at10_30_45.png.1e5984f33a6e29d4722bb74964af4030.png

The second selection area is now added to the mask, and the single adjustment will apply to both areas.

5aeecc5d82a2e_ScreenShot2018-05-06at10_35_04.thumb.png.18db94cebf2ec1f0b7d73b7bfdfaae01.png

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

25 minutes ago, h_d said:

When the OP deselects and then creates a new selection, the newly selected area is not added to the mask

Quite so. What I was saying is that instead of selecting one eye, adjusting it and then selecting the other one, you should do as @toltec suggested: select both eyes (the first in ‘New’ mode and the second in ‘Add’ mode) and only then make your adjustment.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi,

Thank you for all the replies :)

Yes I agree, normally changing both eyes at once would be easier; but that's not the scenario. 

The "problem" is mostly a difference in lighting where I feel the same saturation just doesn't look too good, so I wanted to do them separately with slightly different colours and saturation.

In the original picture the color is a bit different as well. (One eye is hit by the sun and gets a yellowish glow, the other is in the shade and is more greenish.)

I've looked at all your suggestions, and only now from your screenshots noticed the "merge" button.

If I make a selection, change the color, then hit "merge", then undo all selection and select the other eye: suddenly, the selection *will* actually take effect.

It's still a bit confusing to me that making a new selection doesn't take effect at all but it keeps changing the now unselected area, but hitting 'merge' seems to fix it instantly. :)

Or is that the totally wrong way of going about it? :P

5 minutes ago, LvH said:

Hi,

Thank you for all the replies :)

Yes I agree, normally changing both eyes at once would be easier; but that's not the scenario. 

The "problem" is mostly a difference in lighting where I feel the same saturation just doesn't look too good, so I wanted to do them separately with slightly different colours and saturation.

I've looked at all your suggestions, and only now from your screenshots noticed the "merge" button.

If I make a selection, change the color, then hit "merge", then undo all selection and select the other eye: suddenly, the selection *will* actually take effect.

It's still a bit confusing to me that making a new selection doesn't take effect at all but it keeps changing the now unselected area, but hitting 'merge' seems to fix it instantly. :)

Merging is a non destructive process and will create a new merged layer but keep all the layers used to merge. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions