You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Newbie asking for "greatest features" of AD/AP

Hi everybody,

I am a graphic designer and photographer with 20++ years experience of Photoshop (original Version 5, up to CS5) and Xara Designer (from the very beginning, up to V14Pro)

Total newbie with Affinity though, I actually bought AD and AP only yesterday.

On one hand, PS CS5 is rather dated by now and I never went for the subscription model.
I still use it daily and it does the job. Mostly photo development, composition, retouching, manipulation. I was just wondering what has happened in the past years and which new functions and tools are available in a modern graphics software.

On the other hand, i have the latest version of Xara Designer Pro. Sadly, Xara has not introduced any new design tools worth speaking of for the past years.
While I still use it daily for logodesign and printdesign from business card to multipage catalogues, it feels more and more dated.

After this long introduction, I was wondering if there are some "killer features" relative to PS CS5 / Xara Designer that I just "have to see".

For instance, I've been playing around with stacks and their different blend modes already after seeing a tutorial video about it. Blows me away from where I am coming.

Also, the Frequency Separation as a filter is a really cool thing.

Surely, a lot of people here will have former experience with Photoshop and maybe Xara too.

What were your greatest features to discover after switching to Affinity?

Cheers from Austria

5 hours ago, Pannonia said:

On the other hand, i have the latest version of Xara Designer Pro. Sadly, Xara has not introduced any new design tools worth speaking of for the past years.
While I still use it daily for logodesign and printdesign from business card to multipage catalogues, it feels more and more dated.

Hello @Pannonia,

welcome to the forums.

This is the same reason why I left Xara behind, the lack of development for years. I still keep my copy around but for everyday work I switched to AD.

There are many great features. To me comes to mind:

As a user of Xara and Creative Suite I found the learning curve very mild.

I find masking very simple and effective.

In AD the integration and of pixel layers is super easy. And if something cannot be done in AD I just switch over to APh.

Those are just a view that came to my mind.

Greetings to Austria!

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

6 hours ago, Fixx said:

AP can handle very big images, ones that PS refuses to open.

That's surprising, Fixx.

Can you expand on this with some real data/examples?

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

3 hours ago, dominik said:

This is the same reason why I left Xara behind, the lack of development for years. I still keep my copy around but for everyday work I switched to AD..

No offense to our German cousins but maybe Xara (owned by Magix, a German company) use the same development team as Porsche for the 911.  

Design development is, er, a bit slow ;) :D

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

16 minutes ago, toltec said:

No offense to our German cousins but maybe Xara (owned by Magix, a German company) use the same development team as Porsche for the 911.  

Design development is, er, a bit slow ;) :D

Actually I was born in Stuttgart the hometown of Porsche. My brother once even worked there (which is long ago and I assume current development has nothing to with his time being there ;) )

But I am so very much not into cars that you can't offend me with this comparison :D

I've got the impression that Magix had a major influence on the direction of development of Xara Designer. It moved more and more into the direction of 'painting by numbers' = huge amount of templates and left behind the original strengths of a very capable vector drawing program.

I am glad that Serif opened up a new perspective.

Cheers to London!

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

I'm not an AD user, but for AP, the pluses for me are, in no special order:

+ Superb, sensitive selection tools

+ Non-destructive workflow

+ Great price, no subscription

+ Free updates (for now :1_grinning:)

+ This forum/active input and support from Affinity

+ Tutorial videos

+ Stacking

+ Adjustment layers are their own masks

+ Tone mapping persona

+ Huge variety of export options

A couple of minuses:

- no export of clipping paths

- no batch processing of raw files

- limited support for IPTC or XMP metadata

Cheers from Bath!

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

2 minutes ago, h_d said:

- no export of clipping paths

When you choose JPEG as the export format, the additional controls revealed via the 'More...' button include a 'Convert clips to paths' checkbox. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

36 minutes ago, Alfred said:

the additional controls revealed via the 'More...' button include a 'Convert clips to paths' checkbox.

But can the exported paths be used as clipping paths in page layout apps like QuarkXPress and Indesign?

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

12 hours ago, Pannonia said:

"killer features" relative to PS CS5 / Xara Designer

Ability to switch from AP to AD (and vice versa) and continue working on the same file.

You can take advantage of the maximum features from each application, and do not need export / import.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

3 hours ago, dominik said:

Cheers to London!

Shouldn't that be Cheers to Nottingham, home of Serif and Affinity?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

23 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I think it may be because @toltec's location is London?

Just now, h_d said:

I think it may be because @toltec's location is London?

He should move and become a Snot:

The earliest historic notice of Nottingham refers to the place under the British name Tigguocobauc, which means “the house of caves.” From this has arisen the erroneous impression that the present name also has the same meaning.

Before it was modified by Norman influence the name had several forms, e.g. Snothryngham, Snottingaham, Snottingham—but Snotengaham was the earliest. This ending “ham” is akin to the word home, and is of Anglo-Saxon origin. It tells us of a people who came to this country—not, as the Romans did, to exploit—but to colonise and to make for themselves a home. It is not at all unlikely that Snottingham was the home of an Anglian family—Snot (the wise) by name. Thus with the possessive “ing” the whole word means “The home of Snot.”

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

3 hours ago, h_d said:
4 hours ago, Alfred said:

the additional controls revealed via the 'More...' button include a 'Convert clips to paths' checkbox.

But can the exported paths be used as clipping paths in page layout apps like QuarkXPress and Indesign?

Good question! I don't see how to do it in QXP, but I only have an old version (2015) and I'm not very familiar with it. I've never used InDesign.

Alfred spacer.png

I don't have QXP but in the good old days of QXP3, clipping paths had to be embedded in .eps files, not .jpgs. I've got InDesign on the work PC, AP is on the home Mac, but I might have a fiddle next week.

8 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Hi @firstdefence,

while I virtually send cheers to Nottingham, home of Serif, almost every day, I sent those cheers to London, home of @toltec for he answered in his post us 'German cousins' (I learn new expressions every day ;) ).

Back on topic. I want to add one more feature to my 'greatest feature' list:

Powerful and relatively ease to use selection tool in APh.

d.

Thanks everybody for your opinions.

Seems the thread is going to different directions now. Most interesting things mentioned to me personally are:

• Non-destructive workflow
  • Ability to switch from AP to AD (and vice versa) and continue working on the same file. (I have to try that)
  • And possibly the "Tone Mapping Persona", just by the sound of it, will check it out.

To be honest, I was expecting a bit more "spectacular" things. Like the stacks I already mentioned, they are a real game changer for me.

One minus I have discovered: I really like Xara's shape tool and the way it handles vector paths.
Like click, click, click the points and then with the same tool edit beziers and everything. Not only very intuitive, but the way I am used to do it.

AD seems to have more of a Photoshop approach to it. Like click - then move mouse to create curve if needed. Next click and so on.

I hated this method in Photoshop and I sure don't like it in AD.

Is there a way to change this to a more "Xara-like behaviour" for lack of better words?

I did not go through the options yet, maybe this can be changed?

Cheers

30 minutes ago, Pannonia said:

One minus I have discovered: I really like Xara's shape tool and the way it handles vector paths.
Like click, click, click the points and then with the same tool edit beziers and everything. Not only very intuitive, but the way I am used to do it.

Affinity can do click click click, well almost, then just click on any part of the line and it will bend.

5aeea3668f593_bendyPaths.gif.f1ca741362df53acda17690c8dcc3c92.gif

49 minutes ago, Pannonia said:

Is there a way to change this to a more "Xara-like behaviour" for lack of better words?

I did not go through the options yet, maybe this can be changed?

When working with the shape tool press and hold the CTRL key and you can work on nodes and lines like in Xara.

Is that what you are looking for?

d.

2 hours ago, dominik said:

Hi @firstdefence,

while I virtually send cheers to Nottingham, home of Serif, almost every day, I sent those cheers to London, home of @toltec for he answered in his post us 'German cousins' (I learn new expressions every day ;) ).

Sadly, after Brexit, I'm not sure if we will still be related ? 

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

10 hours ago, Alfred said:

Good question! I don't see how to do it in QXP, but I only have an old version (2015) and I'm not very familiar with it. I've never used InDesign.

just tested, they show up in qxp2015

qxp2015.png.107104890223553067e11b650b222c96.png

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

10 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

just tested, they show up in qxp2015

qxp2015.png.107104890223553067e11b650b222c96.png

Thanks, @dutchshader. Perhaps you could attach your Affinity and JPEG files for others to try. :)

Alfred spacer.png