You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

GRScott

Lovely. Did you have a particular reason for using two apps instead of just one? ears.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Alfred, It just ended up that way. I decided to try different programs to see how they worked for me. Believe me, when I say, I support a lot of different software's out there. I love Affinity Designer for vector work, but not for this. For this, I tried Affinity Photo, Photoshop, Clip Studio Paint, Metibang Pro, and Sketchbook Pro working with a Wacom Intuos 5 tablet.

Photoshop had one of the best brushes and brush feedback (except for the cursor, I was always trying to find). But trying to zoom in and use a 3-pixel brush was not the best representation. Not to mention the rent payment.

Metibang Pro (Free) had a slight delay in the brush stroke (with a few other flaws). Sketchbook Pro has always been one of my favorites programs, but I could see some of its limitations.  It came down to Affinity Photo (great brushwork) and Clip Studio Paint. Affinity Photo still has some quirks going on with its layers I talked about this in another post. It cost me some loss of work (2 hours worth) the first time, and the second time I had something happen where I ended up with a pixel layer saying (pixel) 3 times in the layer. How that happened, I don't know. The layer has just got to be selected in the correct place or something else will happen. But I kept trying with Affinity Photo until I decided that Clip Studio Paint had just about everything I needed in an art program.

Now, this is just my opinion. Everyone has a different way of painting and drawing. CSP fit me more. But I will keep watching and trying AP. It is a very good program that I hope, will replace Adobe PS completely one of these days.

Gregg

OS X Version 10.14.6 iMac 27" 3.2 GHz i5- 32 GB  Huion Kamvas Pro 20

iPad Pro 12.9" IOS 13

AD = OS IOS, AP = OS IOS

CSP is my current main painting application, specially for penciling and inking, but lately using its oils, too, its way of mixing works quite like real oils, despite not trying to fully mimic the texture (perfect for digital painting). I'm using heavily Krita, too. But IMO, is not one thing (Affinity vs whatever) or the other. These are my painting apps, but both are limited (just like Sketchbook is, too, besides, free is fine and all, but you need to have an Autodesk (free...for now) account, and these freebies are often cancelled/abandoned after some time (Microsoft Expression, Truespace after acquired, etc, etc). Open source can have a developer wasted or tired, but others can retake it ! And typically do so.)  in comparison with A. Photo or PS. Quite limited, even if both are very versatile.  IMO, a great solution is to paint with these two, or one of them, (imo, Krita is safest, as is open source, and while I really like CSP, I fear the move in the iOS, it suddenly became subscription based) but then rely on Affinity Photo for absolutely anything else that is not painting, or that require even some slight manipulation. And certainly, AD is unmatched for my needs, in terms of vectors. :)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Good to hear your opinion SrPx. I agree with a lot of what you are saying. Having an account with Autodesk does not mean you have to buy anything. Autodesk set the new version of Sketchbook 8.6 up to last in subscription for 100 years as of the end of this year. They say they will update....we will see on that. But you can download and save the execute file so you will always have it. I can still download the old version 6 and use it. But then, it doesn't have all of the new goodies. Krita looks like a good program. But for the Mac, it has been hit or miss. I've written on their forum and now we have a new programmer who is going to take it on for the Mac side. But there will be a learning curve.

Clip Studio Paint is a great program. It has some very cool things one can do with a layer, among other things. But there has been a buzz going around about the forum going away. And if so, I don't know what will happen with CSP.

And like I said earlier, I think Affinity Design has the best vector program going for the dollar.

Everyone has different criteria for their way of working. That's what makes having all of the different resources helpful for each one of us.  Have a great day!

Gregg

OS X Version 10.14.6 iMac 27" 3.2 GHz i5- 32 GB  Huion Kamvas Pro 20

iPad Pro 12.9" IOS 13

AD = OS IOS, AP = OS IOS

• 5 months later...