You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My attempts at tackling Affinity Photo painting/drawing

6 hours ago, Extended said:

I am very interested in how you fix the soft brush edge problem.

6 hours ago, Extended said:

If you are willing to share the experience of fixing the problem of soft brush edges, I will be grateful to you.

And you were obviously asking for advice, here. But seems you don't shine for your manners, or patience.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Didn't expect my thread to blow up like it did.

1 hour ago, Extended said:

AP111.thumb.png.9a80e25d6784c0d99442740e41047709.pngPS111.thumb.png.dc297e730091b5a8982f7b51153e6648.png

In many cases, arguing only consumes time, which is very unworthy.
I will not continue to explain, I only read.
The image uses 111% zoom. AP is set to bilinear. For clarity to see the problem. 3x adjacent hard edge adjustment.

Think you should report that as a bug or something. I tried replicating the problem in the 1.7 version. I did notice those jagged lines a bit at certain resolutions, but not to the extreme that you got. This particular issue does not affect me that much because I always work with big canvases, so I rarely zoom in at these levels. Either way, I would prefer if you brought this topic up in another thread, so we can stick to a select few subjects (otherwise I will need to make a brand new thread when I share my work).

In my opinion, it's all like you are teaching for an idiot. I don't need you to teach me these things, I am an advanced user.

Your signature has betrayed you, and you try to defend the AP. You are not objective, you defend it.

We are just fellow artists trying to share what we know to help. Don't really understand why you decided to take such a passive aggressive tone when we are all in the same boat trying to figure things out.

43 minutes ago, SrPx said:

And you were obviously asking for advice, here. But seems you don't shine for your manners, or patience.

How did you know that I don't know its advantages? In fact, I know everything. I only say the shortcomings, because the advantages need not be improved.
If you want to help me, then I am very happy. Accept your help. But the premise is that your help is good, not that it seems to be useless, even irrelevant to the problem.

I know that I don't seem to have the grace and patience. I look rude. Because I just want to solve the actual problem, I don't care much about other aspects. If you understand, I am not as rude as you can see.:D

The more restricted you put on the program, the closer you program is to idiot.

58 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

We are just fellow artists trying to share what we know to help. Don't really understand why you decided to take such a passive aggressive tone when we are all in the same boat trying to figure things out.

I don't have time to report this, I can only wait for them to fix it. The problem is a The logical mistake in design is not a bug.
I really want to know how you solved the soft brush edge problem, I tried to solve it but it didn't work. Also I don't think you can really solve it.
I am very sorry to disturb your thread. The problem of 111% scaling has no effect on me. So I will not open a topic for it. I care about the problem of soft brush edges. If you can really solve it, I am willing to open a topic for it.

I sincerely apologize for my attitude. I promise a friendly attitude:D I did ignore the etiquette before this. I am very sorry.:)

4 hours ago, SrPx said:

Oh, also, in brush settings, seeing what you are after... set smoothing at the very maximum, there in the top bar. Make also sure wet edges is not selected. Try working with an Adobe RGB profile instead a sRGB, and of course, not in CMYK. Also, for smooth stuff, gradients, and all... maybe change the mode to 16 bits, tends to help with subtle gradients, and shades of a brush, etc. Is way more memory heavy, but you could try.

Las thing that can make you see weird shading / bad gradients,  is a bad monitor....

I have repeatedly confirmed that it is guaranteed to set the maximum smoothing everywhere, but this is useless because it is not a smooth setup problem. The problem looks like a wet edge, unfortunately it is not. Greater than the sRGB color gamut does not appear this problem, Obviously I don't use CMYK, so this is not the answer. I have used 16 bit before, but the same problem exists, which is not about bit depth.
If you can't see the soft brush edge problem, you might be a bad monitor.
I have wasted my time explaining all of this...
I know that the edge of the soft brush is an AP own problem.

I don't have time to report this, I can only wait for them to fix it. The problem is a The logical mistake in design is not a bug.
I really want to know how you solved the soft brush edge problem, I tried to solve it but it didn't work. Also I don't think you can really solve it.
I am very sorry to disturb your thread. The problem of 111% scaling has no effect on me. So I will not open a topic for it. I care about the problem of soft brush edges. If you can really solve it, I am willing to open a topic for it.

I sincerely apologize for my attitude. I promise a friendly attitude:D I did ignore the etiquette before this. I am very sorry.:)

Apology accepted. :)

Anyway, here are the brushes (you have to use the 1.7 beta btw). Bear in mind that they are not 100% identical to how the soft brushes work in Photoshop. Specifically the first few brushes in the file are built around a creating a smooth transition, so I recommend trying those. They're not perfect, but at least sufficient in my eyes.

Also, my solution is not what I consider a permanent fix. I agree that the developers need to address these issues and I hope that something gets done about it, since basic brushes like these should work right off the bat with little hiccups.

Soft Brushes.afbrushes

The problem looks like a wet edge, 

I think Frozen is spot-on in one of his latest comments, with a detail he points out... I had the problem that you refer to (I think I know now exactly what you mean) but happens that I solved (my problem, does not mean it does solve yours : Every field has its set of needs, and I think you work professionally for a different field than I do) my issue with blending as-I-paint by only using the "round smooth brushes" , I have my UI (actually, only the brushes, dunno why) in another language, but I believe they are listed so in English. For some reason, seems only those do a smoothing somewhat similar (not exactly) to the level of smoothing we would get with Photoshop brushes.

I don't "know everything", that's for sure, and I apologize if I sounded like teaching. I have sometimes this "auto-mode" on because I see in  the forum many questions related to the same type of issues, and often from people who is not fully experienced in painting. So, I probably was acting with lazy inertia, half asleep.

So, I show you here a screenshot of my settings. Is what I would use -indeed, I have- for making in AP something more "smooth", where the brush daub/stroke is not the look and feel in mind, when is more of a photo retouch, a over paint for 3D renders for press or etc, for concept art that needs to be very smooth in transitions, comic coloring or etc (is not like I just do traditional painting-like works, far from that).  

This is not patronizing, is just sharing my settings with you, in case you have curiosity, I am not implying you I can teach anyone. (I worked as a teacher, and  promised my self never to work in that again..). The fast shading I've done there, is just some seconds, little insisting. But when I paint I over paint a lot, so the blending ends up happening naturally. I was being very sincere (and without the intention of feeling better t han anyone or stuff) when I mention that I am personally not finding now issues ( I did, in previous times with AP) with blending as I paint. So, if painting more than some seconds, I'd get that quite smoother. is done with the mentioned "round smooth brush" , and you were correct, with other brushes IT DOES HAPPEN what you mention. But Even with the others, as I use my brushes with a very painterly technique, it does not affect my work. Each one's work is different, and for painting in a different style, probably these settings is what I would personally us ( is a 1920px wide pic, and can't be seen well what we're talking about if don't click to amplify to 1:1. The brushes used, which might be the key, are just at the right of that colored shading ) :

my_settings.thumb.png.ac637d8a4107d433df87ea462d409426.png

I know I wouldn't have issues in doing smooth transitions work (the above is a very rough example of some seconds, tho) but it depends on the specs of each work. I can't know what each person needs in their professional work. I apologize if I assumed some of that.

If you can't see the soft brush edge problem, you might be a bad monitor.

I have a NEC Spectraview 231 ( ~ 1200 euros, when I bought it, long ago). Kinda of a semi pro, but a low range one. It is very far from an Eizo of the professional gamma, which is extremely better in every area, but I did not trust the calibration it has from default ; I have a hardware calibrator and calibrate it often.   It does gradients specially well,  and I print stuff a lot, about the 90% of my output, and receiving the cards, covers, and full board games from the authors (the courtesy copy, sent free of charge) I tend to see with joy how, even in cheapo print companies, POD ones, or offset based, the colors end up very accurate to what I have in screen. I'd be to think I have an averagely fine system, but extremely far from a Photo lab level of quality. Good enough for all the people I send graphics to...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Since the 1.7 update just came out, I decided to sit down and finish a speed painting piece I started back in December during the Beta testing (for testing purposes XD). The developers did a great job with this update in terms of performance and features to make painting more feasible in APhoto, although I had stumbles along the way with bugs that I hope get ironed out soon. Anyway, I hope you enjoy!

1399649585_Noir-FrozenDeathKnight(2019).thumb.png.a75bbd8e246d745c0cb6a26df2cc0d90.png1719567673_MurderNoir-FrozenDeathKnight(2019).thumb.png.ace5577299c541d74e59551449b98f12.png

• 4 weeks later...