You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've been playing around with affinity designer and I was trying to make some font corrections when I spotted this problem; I found no way to convert layer effects to vectors, more specifically, the layer's stroke. Is there a way to do this? To expand curves to layer effects and include them in so that they are regarded when I i.e. use geometry functions using them?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Ziey. :)

As far as I’m aware, layer effects are always rasterized in the Affinity apps.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 8 months later...

I like the ability to quickly apply layer effects such as drop shadow, glow, bevel / emboss etc. but for various reasons I need the effects to be in vector format. Would it be technically impossible for Serif to make all or some of the effects available in vector format? That would be amazing!

Hi, Hjortenfeldt,

Designer already has the ability to do the many of the fx thru vectors. AFAIK, Gaussian blur is not feasible w/o rasterizing the output. "Fx" elements that can be made by color gradients and opacity settings should be. I suspect that transforming the underlying geometry to sets of parametric variable could be quite difficult. 

Attached, a sample of a a drop shadow, a bevelled object w. an outer glow, and then, well, a bunch of fun. I have batches of these sort of objects based on simple geometric primitives. Its not hard to change them as I like to tweak the fx. Shifting them to objects w. more complex geometries is something with which I've had less success. Myself, I can't imagine what it would be like to program a routine to deal w. that, and then tack a simple interface with sliders and buttons onto it. 

VectorFX.jpg.8739b4487b81eadc3ca58185ce9ff6db.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• 7 months later...
On 1/22/2019 at 7:00 AM, Hjortenfeldt said:

I like the ability to quickly apply layer effects such as drop shadow, glow, bevel / emboss etc. but for various reasons I need the effects to be in vector format. Would it be technically impossible for Serif to make all or some of the effects available in vector format? That would be amazing!

Yes, that would be great! It's been a while since I've used any Adobe products, but I believe PS could separate layer effects into different layers. I agree that using layer fx is much easier in most cases, so why not make the user's life easier and let the software do the "hard work" of separating effects into layers. Hard to imagine it's not technically possible.