You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the forums.

If you are using Affinity Photo on a Mac, you can use File > Aquire Image, this loads the built in scanner support in macOS. If you're using Windows, use the software that came with your scanner, these will give you more options/settings to choose from. Once scanned, you can open the image into Affinity to apply edits and adjustments.

2 hours ago, peter@armchairhistory said:

But it is a feature in the Mac version .

Yes it is, but it is limited to third party 64 bit compliant scan drivers. So among other things, that means no TWAIN support at all or support for older (& some not-so-old) scanners or all-in-one scanner/printers whose makers have not kept their drivers updated. Third (forth?) party solutions like VueScan are available but cost almost as much (or considerably more for the full featured pro version) than Affinity Photo.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I can acquire an image from my HP Officejet 8620 AIO so I suppose I'm one of the lucky ones. :D

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

45 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I can acquire an image from my HP Officejet 8620 AIO so I suppose I'm one of the lucky ones. :D

Is this with Affinity Photo's File > Aquire Image on your Mac or somehow with the Windows version of Affinity Photo?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 hours ago, R C-R said:

Is this with Affinity Photo's File > Aquire Image on your Mac or somehow with the Windows version of Affinity Photo?

With Mac

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 2 weeks later...

if the drivers are the problem with Windows 10 64bit how come I can scan from Photoplus 5 and Photoplus 8 using the file import option as i did flawlessly a few minutes ago having given up on Affinity after reading this . 

This is a big step back for me and looks like a cop out from Serif, what else is there I have taken for granted in Photoplus that is missing from Affinity?

3 hours ago, George McKenna said:

if the drivers are the problem with Windows 10 64bit how come I can scan from Photoplus 5 and Photoplus 8 using the file import option as i did flawlessly a few minutes ago having given up on Affinity after reading this . 

Perhaps those apps run in 32-bit mode, rather than 64-bit as the Affinity apps do?

Assuming you've installed them in their default locations, are they in "Program Files (x86)" which is for 32-bit apps, or in "Program Files" with the 64-bit apps?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@George McKenna, first. welcome to the Affinity forums.

Assuming you are referring to PhotoPlus X5 and X8, the former is 32 bit only and the latter can be either 32 bit or 64 bit or both, depending on which "version(s)" you selected to install.

I suspect you are actually using the 32 bit versions of both.

Jeff

EDIT: beaten by walt.farrell

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

• 7 months later...
46 minutes ago, MJWHM said:

December now, and still apparently unable to scan. The same scanners work happily with other 64-bit programs. Not impressed at all.

Some programs, particularly those that started life as 32 (or even 16) bit apps, include code whose function is to translate 32 bit driver code into something 64 bit programs can interface with. As you might imagine, this is not as efficient or as problem free as avoiding the need for that by supporting only 64 bit drivers.

Maybe for that reason, Serif has decided not to do that with the Affinity apps. But like @Lee D mentioned, you can still use the software that came with your scanner to scan images, & then open them in Affinity for edits and adjustments.

Affinity Photo 

5 hours ago, R C-R said:

you can still use the software that came with your scanner to scan images, & then open them in Affinity for edits and adjustments

If your scanner software saves your image as a Tiff and Photo is set up as the default program to open Tiff files, then after you save a tiff from the scanner it will automatically open in Photo. Works for me in Windows and I am told that it works on Macs as well.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 1 year later...
On 5/4/2018 at 2:24 AM, Lee D said:

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the forums.

If you are using Affinity Photo on a Mac, you can use File > Aquire Image, this loads the built in scanner support in macOS. If you're using Windows, use the software that came with your scanner, these will give you more options/settings to choose from. Once scanned, you can open the image into Affinity to apply edits and adjustments.

All true, but every time I try to apply MANUAL control to the scan... Affinity CRASHES. !   ---->???