You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Editing in AP from APPLE PHOTOS

Hi

can someone please clarify.

i open my raw file in Apple Photos then edit in  Afinity photo from the photos option which opens my photo in AFP.

is this using the develop persona and then if i do edits and close save it takes me back into APhoto,is it still the raw file or jpeg.

also is this basically the same as taking the raw into AFP directly and using DP then exporting jpeg and then dropping it into APhotos?

my other question which im still confused about.

i import a raw into AFP and im in the develop persona.i have lots of options to edit the raw then send to the photo persona,yet i can also do all thise edits in the 

photo persona using layers say so how do you decide wether to do them in the develop persona or the photo persona?would i be better just to import the raw and do nothing other than to develop and go directly to the photo persona?

thanks

• Staff

Hi Geminitiger!

If you open a raw file in Apple Photos, click on Edit and then in the drop-down menu select Edit in Affinity Photo, this will open the RAW file in AFP. Once you have developed the image and made your edits, save the file and close it in Affinity. This will then port the changes back to Apple Photos, where you can save the image to your library. This actually creates a new image (usually a JPEG) and displays in place of the original RAW in Apple Photos, this does not actually affect the original RAW image.
This is the main difference from opening the file outside of Apple Photos and exporting it, you still end up with 2 files, the original RAW and the edited photo, but they are not saved under the same thumbnail, as they are in Apple Photos.

This is down to personal preference. Some content creators will do very little in the develop persona, as these are all destructive edits and will instead opt to apply most changes post develop, whereas some prefer to apply macros for a similar developed look across all their images and only make minor changes outside of the develop persona. There is no right answer here as the answer is subjective to the creators personal preference, however there are certain changes that can be made in the develop persona that must be done before an image is developed, as developing an image will bound it to a colour space and clip any tones that cannot be displayed etc.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Thanks Dan,that has really helped me understand a lot more of those processes.

From your explanations im leaning toward just doing the essential changes in the DP and most other stuff in PP.

Regarding an edited photo in AFP from within AP the replaced jpeg image now showing in AP,if i wanted to again edit the original raw i guess i just go to menu and choose original.interesting.

many thanks

Two things to keep in mind about using Apple Photos:

1. In Apple Photos, undoing edits (whether made in that app or in Affinity Photo) is an all or nothing process -- IOW, you can't just undo the last edit or step back to an earlier edited version. So if you want to work around that, duplicate the photo in Apple Photos & treat each dup as a separate photo.

2. If you edit a photo stored in the Apple Photos Library in Affinity Photo (by any method), File menu > Reveal in Finder will open the Library folder where the file is stored in the Apple Photos Library in a Finder window & select it. This may make it tempting to open that file directly in Affinity Photo & edit it. Don't do that! According to Apple, making any changes directly in a file stored in the Apple Photos Library risks corrupting the internal Apple Photos database that keeps track of edits, cause syncing problems with the original 'master' files, etc. This can result in the loss or corruption of some or even all of the photos stored in the Library!

The methods provided by the Affinity Photo extensions are always safe to use. Just don't try to work around them with the Reveal in Finder or any other hack.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, Geminitiger said:

in your reply

1,you mean once you've closed the editing ,whilst editing you can of course but once saved, yes I get it no going back right?

Yes, the only thing you can go back to after applying any edits is to the original, unedited version.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...

Hello I need some help, I used to do the following and worked very well:

"f you open a raw file in Apple Photos, click on Edit and then in the drop-down menu select Edit in Affinity Photo, this will open the RAW file in AFP. Once you have developed the image and made your edits, save the file and close it in Affinity. This will then port the changes back to Apple Photos, where you can save the image to your library"

But now I updated the affinity version and it is no longer working. Do you know if something must be settled in preferences or so?

Regards

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi Sean,

Unfortunately there's been no further updates for this issue currently, once we receive word from the devs we'll update this thread accordingly. Apologies for any inconveniences in the meantime.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

On 6/25/2019 at 4:10 AM, Dan C said:

This is a bug our developers are aware of and we're working to fix it!

Is this something that affects only certain versions of the Mac OS and/or Apple Photos?

I ask because for me Edit > Edit in Affinity Photo works fine, as it always has for me through several versions of both.

It is the "Edit with > Affinity Photo" option in Apple Photos that does not work for me, & that has been true for a while.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff
15 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Is this something that affects only certain versions of the Mac OS and/or Apple Photos?

We're yet to narrow down the exact cause, this issue doesn't affect all users and there's seemingly no relationship between one user to the next.

It can affect multiple MacOS versions, and both install versions (MAS and AS) but not in all cases - hence it's currently with the developers for further investigation.

So, actually right now is there no way to use the full AP app to edit images from within Apple Photos then?
Method A: Click the Edit button in Apple Photos, click “…” and choose; Edit in Affinity Photo. Nothing happens, just a message that AP couldn’t be launched.
Method B: Right click on image in Photos; choose; Edit With, etc… Whilst the image dose load into AP any edits made there can not be saved.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

1 hour ago, markw said:

Method A: Click the Edit button in Apple Photos, click “…” and choose; Edit in Affinity Photo. Nothing happens, just a message that AP couldn’t be launched.

Just to be clear, for me this method does work -- no error message & Affinity Photo launches & opens the file without problems. But like @Dan C said, it does not work for everyone & the cause for that is not yet clear.

Affinity Photo 

Well consider yourself one of the fortunate ones then R C-R that Photos Edit in… still works for you!
Curiously even if AP is already running I still get the message at the bottom of the Photos window that Photos can’t launch it.

50%.png

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Just wondering if any progress is being made with the bug?
Currently I have no ability to use the full AP app from within Apple Photos.

• Staff
On 9/13/2019 at 10:38 AM, Dan C said:

Unfortunately there's been no further updates for this issue currently, once we receive word from the devs we'll update this thread accordingly. Apologies for any inconveniences in the meantime.

Well, not really what I was hoping to hear as you can imagine.:(
But I thank you all the same Dan for your prompt reply.
Patients as they say is a virtue.-_- Think I might go put the kettle on. Fancy a brew Dan while we wait…

• Staff
On 9/14/2019 at 10:04 AM, markw said:

Well consider yourself one of the fortunate ones then R C-R that Photos Edit in… still works for you!
Curiously even if AP is already running I still get the message at the bottom of the Photos window that Photos can’t launch it.

50%.png

Hi mark,
Have you moved the Affinity Photo app to any other place other than the root of the Applications folder? If so move it back again to the root of the Applications folder then try the extension again.

Hi MEB,
No, nothing has been moved to strange or unlikely locations.
Just ever since I installed MAS 1.7.2 it stopped working.
Fancy a cupa too with me and Dan C while we wait?

On 9/14/2019 at 4:04 AM, markw said:

Curious indeed, because the Dock in your screenshot even shows that Affinity Photo has been launched/is running (indicated by the dot underneath the Dock icon).

That, plus what @Dan C mentioned about there seemingly being no relationship between one user & the next, the OS version, the store the app came from, etc., makes me think the cause must somehow be related to how the AP extension, Affinity Photo 1.7.2 itself, & Apple Photos communicate with each other, but exactly what it is must be quite obscure or the developers would have figured out what it is by now.

Affinity Photo 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve got the ‘Edit In Affinity Photo’ extension working again!:)
With the release of Photo 1.7.3 I was hopeful that it was fixed, but found that the ‘Edit In Affinity Photo’ extension still wasn’t working for me.
So I saved my 'user' folder of all that I’ve added to Photo over time and then used AppCleaner to remove AP and all it’s associated files and folders that AppCleaner could find, some 4GB in total!
Emptied the Trash and restarted my Mac.
Re-downloaded AP from the App Store, replaced the 'user' folder with my old one and fired it up. And all is good again between AP and Photos!B|

Really sorry to hear that chaunce322:(
As Dan C said there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to who and when, will be effected by this bug.
User rwakeford found another workaround to this “Edit In…” extension bug in his post hear: