You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - 4 Perspective Tools explained

Go to my Youtube Channel, where you can find 35 Tutorials, with a new Tutorial coming out every 3 Days.

Today we are going to have a look at 4 different applications of Perspective Tools in Affinity Photo.

You can use them in a wide variety of ways, not just for perspective correction, but also to create new compositions or put new things into your photos. Make photos more dramatic or bring back the zen of a easy situation. So many possibilities. 

Support me on PATREON and get my Affinity Photo File with all layers as a Thank You:
https://www.patreon.com/sarikas

Find me on Steemit:
https://steemit.com/@multi4g

Photos used: 
https://unsplash.com/photos/Zkb2HcxTZXM
https://unsplash.com/photos/V9keLsAtxyA

#perspective #room #architecture #correction #adjustment #retusche #photo #design  #art  #colorful #fun #dtube #artistic #creative #steemit #easy #tutorial #education #handson #learning #free #affinity #editing #episode #series #making #DIY #minute #quick #pictures #howto #designer #cover #elearning #video #online

Hi

Nice and clear video but I believe you are mistaken when you are demonstrating the Live Perspective Projection

You effectively say ...

"You cant use any other layers and you can't put text on the projection"

In reality, you simply add these layers as normal then use the Merge Down command to merge them into the Background layer

This video will show you how he merges down an image layer at around the 5:04 mark

You just do the same for Text Layers or other layers you create

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Oh, wow, that is why that didn't work for me. I used "Merge visible" instead of "Merge down". That said, the "live Projection" is not really any more useful than using a single plane perspective tool and doesn't really have any "live" features to it, like the smart Layers in Photoshop. So i am still pretty disappointed by what it can do. Still thank you for telling me. I will make a Video about that functionality asap. 

If you use Layer > New Live Filter Layer > Perspective Filter, rather than the Perspective Tool you will find that Text etc does not get rasterised and remains editable at all time.  By using the Perspective Filter it is also easy to readjust the perspective should you need to do that at anytime

You may find that useful information for your next video.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

27 minutes ago, Multi4G said:

Are you the same Carl that is doing videos on Youtube?

No not me, I just like watching the videos

Sure, this one is my favourite use for the Live Perspective Filter

If you use an embedded AP document as the object you want to apply the Perspective Filter to, you get the option to Edit the embedded document which will give you the original flat document to work with.

If you have 2 screens (or display both documents on the one screen) you can see the Perspective image change in "real time" as you update the (flat) embedded document.

I'm experimenting with the live perspective filter and text right now and it does some very strange things. This text is not rasterized, yet you can clearly see pixelelation. Also, unless i put it into a group is a vector rectangle that is the full size of my image, the text will be cut off at the edge of the "box" that it out around the original text (not a text box, just the "movers"). 

Pretty strange. Not sure if i am missing something here.

test.jpg

test.png

Hard to be certain with the images you have supplied but there is currently a bug with the Live Perspective Filter which distorts the image and you may be encountering that.

You can work around it but it's tricky and currently takes a bit of playing around to get it to work as required.

Development are aware but no time frame at the moment for when it will be fixed.

PS  Working at 100% zoom helps a lot when trying to work around the bug 

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I consistently need to correct perspective of photos of a rectangular object which isn't on a copy stand, so the camera sensor plane and the planar object are never perfectly aligned.

Coming from years of Photoshop use, I have the same request: a perspective tool that works like Photoshop's Perspective Crop. With that tool, you set the four corners of the tool to the four corners of the image and hit crop. There's no step 2.

Using Layer > New Live Filter Layer > Distort > Perspective > Source lets me drag the grid to the corners of the image, and seems like it should work as above. But when I use that, I get a distortion of the image, changing its aspect ratio to make it wider.

Layer > New Live Filter Layer > Distort > Perspective > Destination (the default) works fine, with no distortion, but requires a little more work and finesse:

1. Switch to move tool (arrow)

2. Pull four guidelines from rulers set to the four outermost corners of the distorted image.

3. Layer > New Live Filter Layer > Distort > Perspective

4. Move four corners of the perspective grid away from the image until the image aligns with the guidelines.

5. Hit Return

6. Crop to the new borders of the image.

• 1 month later...