You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

remove part of photo from transparent background

• Staff

Hi Sabor,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

If you want to fill the area behind the 'sand texture' with white keeping the texture there go to menu File ▸ Document and untick Transparent Background.

If you want to fill it with a specific colour go to menu Layer ▸ New Fill Layer, drag this layer to below the image layer in the Layers panel and with the Fill layer still selected pick the colour you want from the Colour panel.

If you want to "cut out" the circle part (on the top right) and delete the "sand texture", select the image layer, use the Selection Brush Tool to quickly select the circle, then go to menu Select ▸ Invert Pixel Selection to get the sand texture selected instead and press delete on your keyboard. If you already unticked the Transparent Background from the File ▸ Document menu you should see a clean white background.

Here's a related video tutorial that may help understand how to cut out elements from images.

Thanks for your reply. The transparent is the background. I want the sand texture on just my surfboard. Every tutorial i've seen has a solid background they can hide the sand texture with on the background. 

hi @Sabor ahve you checked videos that talks about Masking?
Maybe what you need is to understand masks and make use of them.

i myself didn't catch up how they work and how to use them in previous days using other products on the market.

With Affinity they just work and are easy to use, give it a try !

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

• Staff

Hi Sabor,

Thanks for the additional details. In that case you can either use the third method i explained above to delete the sand from the area outside the surfboard or use a vector (or a raster) mask to hide it as Arnaud Mez suggested. Here's a quick video (no sound) to show the process. I wasn't very precise with the Pen Tool as it's not the point here.