JonoHodgson

Can't export to PDF

Hello, I cannot export to PDF on affinity designer (or AF but not worried about that).

I've tried with blank documents and ones I need to print for production and all get the same error.

There is no third party software and I've just installed AD fresh, tried different colour spaces etc as suggested by other people in the forum and nothing works.

This is a feature I need working as most of the printers here require pdfs to print from.

Please can I get some help on this error?

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Can you Export other kinds of documents to that location?

What antivirus software do you use?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.337 Beta

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Jono. :)

It might be down to something as simple as spaces in the folder path. To rule out that possibility, try renaming the folder ‘Helen Invites’ to ‘Helen-Invites’ or ‘HelenInvites’. It might also be a good idea to remove the ‘=’ characters from the subfolder name.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.12.86 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.2 (iPad Air 2)

Hi guys,

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried exporting to multiple locations/drives and I get the same error, renaming that folder also gives the same error (as attachment).

I use the antivirus software that comes with windows (windows defender i think its called), I can export with any other format like EPS and it works fine, just PDF gives that error.

Capture.JPG

What are your PDF export settings?

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.12.86 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.2 (iPad Air 2)

Windows Defender may be preventing you from creating files on the Desktop. I suggest looking at your Defender settings in the Windows Control Panel to see if you need to authorize Affinity Designer in some way. You might also check the security logs to see if there are any messages there.

Edit: You might look, specifically, for the Controlled Folder Access function in Defender.

By the way, did you purchase Designer from the Affinity website store, or from the Microsoft Windows store?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.337 Beta

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Windows Defender may be preventing you from creating files on the Desktop.

I think Jono has already addressed that possibility!

1 hour ago, JonoHodgson said:

I can export with any other format like EPS and it works fine, just PDF gives that error.

Alfred online2long.gif

Hi JonoHodgson

there maybe a specific element in your design that is preventing the PDF export with your settings. It may be going through a removing a few elements to see if you can identify this at all or alternatively provide the file for us to look into. I can create a private upload link if you do not wish to share it publicly

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hi guys,

I've tried exporting with blank documents, so it can't be an element in my design that is preventing the export.

As said before I can export to any other kind of document and it works fine.

Hi JonoHodgson,

Could you try and follow the below steps to get a log file from the PDF export please. I can pass that on to development who will be able to get a better idea on why it might be failing!

1. Create a folder called 'temp' on the root of your C:\ drive so you have folder at C:\Temp\
  2. Run 'PDFLibLogging.reg' - this will create a registry entry that enables logging for PDF Export
  3. Run Affinity and export to PDF and then click OK to accept the error message.
  4. Go to C:\Temp\ and attach the newly created PDFlib.txt file to this thread - this is the log we're interested in seeing
  5. Once you've got that file run the 'PDFLibLoggingRemove.reg' to remove the logging as this can cause slowdown!

Thanks!

PDFLibLogging.reg

PDFLibLoggingRemove.reg

Thank you very much for doing that! Could you do me a favour and attach the Dummies.ttf file from your Windows Font Files please. Once you've done that, delete the font in C:\Windows\Fonts and then try to re-export. I believe it is this font that is blocking the export. 

I've downloaded what I think is the same font (just want to double check yours is the same file) and have reproduced the error. I'll get that handed over to development, but in the meantime removing the font should allow you to export again!

Hi Sean,

Thanks, I got excited and removed the font first! so i can't attach it sorry

Unfortunately I still get the error (I restarted after removing it) maybe it's another font causing the issue?

23 minutes ago, JonoHodgson said:

Unfortunately I still get the error (I restarted after removing it) maybe it's another font causing the issue?

Perhaps. Try getting another log file and take a look at it and you should be able to tell.

-- Walt

As Walt has said you might well have several fonts that are causing it. If you repeat the process with logging enabled you can open the log and view the part towards the end. It should mention an exception and list the font just above. For example for the Dummies font listed the following:

[New category:resource "FontOutline:Dummies = C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\Dummies.ttf"]
[Last exception 1219 in PDF_set_option]["Bad resource specification ' = Dummies' for category 'FontnameAlias'"]

If you do find you have multiple fonts could you list and attach them please? Hopefully it is just a case of this!

On 5/4/2018 at 2:56 PM, Sean P said:

Hi JonoHodgson,

Could you try and follow the below steps to get a log file from the PDF export please. I can pass that on to development who will be able to get a better idea on why it might be failing!

1. Create a folder called 'temp' on the root of your C:\ drive so you have folder at C:\Temp\
  2. Run 'PDFLibLogging.reg' - this will create a registry entry that enables logging for PDF Export
  3. Run Affinity and export to PDF and then click OK to accept the error message.
  4. Go to C:\Temp\ and attach the newly created PDFlib.txt file to this thread - this is the log we're interested in seeing
  5. Once you've got that file run the 'PDFLibLoggingRemove.reg' to remove the logging as this can cause slowdown!

Thanks!

PDFLibLogging.reg

PDFLibLoggingRemove.reg

I reported the PDF export issue more than a year ago (it was the 2017/06/07). I had this issue in 3 different PCs so far (just bought a new one at work and since the first use Affinity gave me the same error). And I confirmed to a certain Andy that the "Dummies.ttf" font is not the origin of the problem (even if I do think that the issue is somehow generated by a font conflict).

pdflib.log

13 minutes ago, Corrado said:

I reported the PDF export issue more than a year ago (it was the 2017/06/07). I had this issue in 3 different PCs so far (just bought a new one at work and since the first use Affinity gave me the same error). And I confirmed to a certain Andy that the "Dummies.ttf" font is not the origin of the problem (even if I do think that the issue is somehow generated by a font conflict).

pdflib.log

FIXED > as suspected it was a font conflict, in my specific case those two:

• BEN FOLDS FIVE
  • SI FONT

Thanks everyone, I'm gonna be able to use AD for production!

Cheers

I know this is late, but I just wanted to say thanks for the solution, I've just fixed the issue with your awesome instructions, and it was Dummies.ttf causing the problem.

Thanks for following up on the issue and giving me a good solution!

I love Affinity designer and you guys rock, keep it up.