You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to this forum but am trying to get some ideas about book cover designing. I'm planning to have my novel published very soon (through CreateSpace) and am especially interested in premade covers. There are many out there but most are mediocre at best. I'm wondering if anyone has an idea about this site: www.bookcoverzone.com - Nice covers, decent pricing and all but it's an automatic system, and I've never seen or tried anything like this before. If anyone has bought from this site, any feedback would be much appreciated. 

• Staff

Hi NilsHaug,

Can't say i've used that site before but i'm sure if anyone else has, they will reply :) 

You could always look at creating your own book cover with Affinity 

Haven't used the site either, but from my first impression: None of the book covers that they have look very original, but most of them are quite well done. They claim that they'll remove a cover once someone buys it, which is a good thing. I'd still prefer designing a book cover myself though, and I'd probably do it in Affinity :)

This https://www.canva.com/learn/how-to-design-book-covers/ is an interesting article about book cover design, with some good examples and explanations. The articles linked at the bottom of it are interesting too.

This article https://litreactor.com/columns/13-things-book-covers-can-learn-from-horror-vhs-covers might also be worth reading for a bit of fun.
The advice is more towards the horror side of things and not everyone will agree with what the author says - and they seem to be a bit doll-obsessed - but there are nuggets of good advice scattered around here and there, depending on what sort of book the cover is for.

I'm not sure what the rules of the forum are but - if it's allowed - you could open a competition for people to submit their samples to and you could choose one you liked, and - hopefully - pay them too. Moderators: Is this something that is unwanted/possible/encouraged?

I agree, most of them look fairly well done. I'm planning on buying this one: https://bookcoverzone.com/book/RangoonGreen/3072

I know it's a rather unconventional way to buy a premade book cover, but I think I like the idea that there are no risks involved. I know what I'm paying for at least. :) As for making my own cover, yes, in another life maybe. I'm comfortable with storylines and words, but not so with design and stuff. Still thanks for your feedback, all of you. 

My Sister decided to design her own book covers: after being quoted £300 for a cover, so she bought an £450 XP-Pen drawing display 22inch and has done about 10 book covers so far. If you want that unique or styled look do it yourself. 

1. You hone your art skills, tablet skills.
  2. You create your own cover (bragging rights included and should be used whenever possible in a conversation e.g. "I'm going on a six star cruise with the queen next week", "hmm! I designed my own book cover" wait for applause
  3. You get the urge to write another book so you can make another book cover.
  4. You become rich and talk about the good ole days when you used to make your own book covers. ;) 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Didn't know about this site.... they are making stock sites for almost everything, there will be a point in time where a freelancer wont even keep a niche...  :(    (I'm joking...or sort of)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.